• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civilian Gordon and Ferguson - Goatskin "windbreaker"

blaze424

I recently picked up a goatskin "leather windbreaker" manufactured by Gordon and Ferguson under the "Field and Stream" label.

Inside the left pocket is a white cloth, rectangular garment tag. I seem to recall that it can be "decoded" to indicate the garment's year of manufacture.

It reads: "Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America; Union Made Work Clothes; Series WAX -80. " In red there is a number "531-213." In very small print, it appears there is a copyright of 1934.

There is an additional label in the jacket that reads "The Hub-Thisteds, Great Falls." A quick google finds a long-time clothing store by that name in Montana that closed in 1964.

From the garment tag, can anyone help me pin down what year it might have been made?

It is a beautiful, brown goatskin "trucker" type jacket, size 46, with an old talon zip, and beautifully scalloped pocket tops like the M-422s.

It is in deadstock condition.

thanks in advance for any help.

blaze424

Here are some snaps.

I am thinking late 1940s.

Anything in the garment tag that narrows it down?

thanks

DSCI0050.jpg

GFGoatskin001.jpg

GFGoatskin006.jpg

GFGoatskin003.jpg

GFGoatskin002.jpg

GFGoatskin005.jpg

airfrogusmc

Man that sweet. Looks like one of those M440s/G8 (made up) that was it Avirex was selling and a few other places.

Happy Hooligan

awesome jacket and it's my size too...

thank you for finding it for me...

I'll send you the address where to send it...

blaze424

In response to a number of queries, I would consider trades for this jacket. In particular, pre-1960 Navy G-1s (M-422, 6552, 55j14, 7823s).

Who

Looks like an Indiana Jones jacket, only the back is better. I like that half belt back. The Indy jackets (of which I have two) have a back that seems kind of silly in design. The action pleats are too low and don't help much in terms of movement.

Baron Kurtz

blaze424 said:
Anything in the garment tag that narrows it down?

DSCI0050.jpg

That label ("Copyright 1939", just under "Workers") was in use from 1939-1949. Give a bit of wobble for some factories potentially using them into the early 1950s.

bk

Baron Kurtz

Thanks, Andrew. Finally, I got around to re-registering. As you know, i'm a bit of a leather newbie - i lost the forum for a while after the move from cornell surgery, and got de-registered along the way, apparently. For some reason Google wouldn't come up with a good hit for this place. Someone over there at that other forum gave me the new address during my B-3 learning.

bk