• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civilian A-2 or issued refurbished?

bazelot

I just bought this jacket. I did not pay much for it but I got it because it is named to a Navy guy. I believe it is civilian but is there a way to tell the manufacturer? THe back is toast but is exactly cut like an issues A-2 (no third panel on the sleeve or 2 panel back)

DiamondDave

Sort of looks like a Cable 10008-p pattern with Conmar zipper, and silver ligne 20 snaps.

Maybe an instructor of some sort, as it has Navy type badge, but with Army Wing Prop insignia, and says USNR. INTERESTING FIND!

watchmanjimg

DiamondDave said:
Sort of looks like a Cable 10008-p pattern with Conmar zipper, and silver ligne 20 snaps.

Maybe an instructor of some sort, as it has Navy type badge, but with Army Wing Prop insignia, and says USNR. INTERESTING FIND!

I realize this doesn't explain the jacket, but I believe the wing/prop signifies a Navy Aviation Machinist's Mate rating in this case.

bazelot

watchmanjimg said:
DiamondDave said:

I realize this doesn't explain the jacket, but I believe the wing/prop signifies a Navy Aviation Machinist's Mate rating in this case.

That is correct, he enlisted 10/26/42 and was discharged 11/1/45. he served with VB-4, VB-40 and VPB-197

DiamondDave

watchmanjimg said:
DiamondDave said:

Fascinating and thanks for the correction. I know precious little about
Navy ratings, and I learned something today!

DiamondDave

bazelot said:
Thanks for the replies, so is it issued refurbished or civilian?

I'd guess issued, AND then refurbished with close to period knit parts. Those are not original, but have been on it a long time.

watchmanjimg

It's not WW2, but awhile back I acquired a 1968 MA-1 on eBay with a brown leather nameplate bearing Naval Flight Officer wings and the simple inscription "Marcia Ann" beneath the wings. There was a serviceman's name stamped at the inner collar area in black ink, so I did some Googling and ultimately discovered that an individual of that name was indeed a Navy Radar Intercept Officer during the era in which the jacket was likely issued. I emailed the gentleman and got a very friendly and detailed response indicating that he believed the jacket was issued at some phase of his training, but ultimately turned in for a "WEP" of proper Navy specification. He had no idea where the "Marcia Ann" inscription came from, but he was confident the jacket itself was issued to him.

There may well have been a scenario under which a Navy man was assigned to an AAF unit for training or some other purpose and was issued an Army flight jacket. Alternatively, the jacket could have been acquired privately after the war and the nameplate affixed by an owner who was perhaps not so particular as we . . .

bazelot

i got the jacket. It is in sorry shape but it's all there. It is definitely civilian as the lining appears to not have been changed and the waistband is also original. It looks like it might have been a WWII civilian run by a known A-2 Manufacturer as the cut and details are 100% that of an original A-2. I will post pics.
Tom

Roughwear

Can you post some more photos please. The goatskin shell, with the medium nickel snaps and Conmar zipper yells Cable Raincoat to me.