• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

China Airmotive Jacket

John Lever

I have just bought this very interesting vintage jacket and would like some opinions as to it's age and materials. The outer leather looks like very fine goatskin or perhaps Capeskin. Inside there is a beautifully coloured sheepskin liner rather like a B-1. The zips are all very old Kwik [with a ratchet type tag on the main zips] the neck and waist buckles are very decorative, the snaps are un- marked.
Design-
Waist straps,collar strap with snap,cuff zips with snaps front B-3 type pocket.

BTW got the name wrong,it should have been China Airmotive

Roughwear

Re: Shanghai Automotive Jacket

This is a really interesting late '30s B-3 style jacket John. I guess few were made. The leather is interesting. It could well be cape skin. Will you be keeping it or flipping it?

John Lever

I intend to have some small damages repaired and also perhaps a very gentle clean so the girls can wear it. I would love to have it copied exactly without compromise but know this will be very expensive.
Of all the jackets I have owned this is by far the best design and the best looking. I think it is from the 1930's and hope others can advise me on that.

Roughwear

Yes with this particular Kwik zip a mid to late 1930s date would be correct.

Peter Graham

Re: China Aeromotive Jacket

John,
I agree with everything you say about the look and design of this jacket. It's quite superb. You're lucky to have got hold of it. Is China Aeromotive the name on the label ? Can you post a pic of it please ? Have you turned up any more info on the maker ?

Silver Surfer

Re: China Aeromotive Jacket

calling dr. chapman. is dr. chapman on the floor? if anyone can, john can. the more i look at it, the more i like it.

John Lever

Waiting for the correct zips and thin horsehide. It's in the hands of an expert so I go with what I am advised. I have no shortage of warm gear but we may have some news in the next few weeks I hope.
Someone I know has just bought a similar sheepskin jacket with an Airchute label.....could be The Holy Grail.

omarco

great stuff, glad to hear it's still moving along. Really one of the nicest sheepskins I'v seen.

Looking forward to updates!