• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CEILING ZERO: A B-2 variant and more!

asiamiles

In Howard Hawks' terrific 1936 film CEILING ZERO James Cagney (and others) can be seen wearing a variant of the B-2. The large fur collar with throat latch, the windflap, the belt etc are all familiar, but the jacket has slash pockets and seems to lack the any zips or fasteners at the cuffs. I wonder if this is an actual B-2 variant, a studio jacket, or just a civilian 20's/30's winter flight jacket?

Interestingly the pilots wear the B-2 over their leather jackets which are neither A-1's or A-2's but look to be cape rather than horsehide. You can see Cagney's jacket in the pics below...note the odd seam across the left chest. Unfortunately no clear pic of the "B-2".

ceilingzero4.jpg

ceilingzero3.jpg

ceilingzero5.jpg

zoomer

IIRC, civilian jackets were made in the general B-1/B-2 design.
You can easily imagine the civvy market wanting more than the one, big map pocket.
Failing that, Hollywood studios made anything the design department drew up.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
In Howard Hawks' terrific 1936 film CEILING ZERO James Cagney (and others) can be seen wearing a variant of the B-2. The large fur collar with throat latch, the windflap, the belt etc are all familiar, but the jacket has slash pockets and seems to lack the any zips or fasteners at the cuffs. I wonder if this is an actual B-2 variant, a studio jacket, or just a civilian 20's/30's winter flight jacket?

The jacket appears to be from the S-20 two-piece leather flying suit, illustrated in the Air Associates Inc. catalog (1935). Full Gear, page 152.

Designed to be worn separately .... The suit is made of chocolate-brown Glove Leather, lined with heavy Beaverized Lamb Fleece dyed to a contrasting shade of brown ......

The order to modify the B-1, and B-2 jackets (the left-breast pocket will be removed) was dated May 24, 1934. The first B-3 contract is from the fiscal year 1935 (ie 1934/35). It's unlikely that there was time for any other variation, and anyway, the B-3 retained the patch pocket, now re-positioned.

zoomer

Aota-san knows all. <bows stiffly at waist> Thank you deeb.

asiamiles said:
You can see Cagney's jacket in the pics below...note the odd seam across the left chest.
Seeing as there's no corresponding seam across the right chest, is it possible that was a pocket?

Falcon_52

That very well may be a breast pocket. Interesting too is that his jacket doesn't have a shoulder yoke like the 31-800P A-1. It's almost like a capeskin A-2! Very nice, indeed!

Noel

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
The jacket appears to be from the S-20 two-piece leather flying suit, illustrated in the Air Associates Inc. catalog (1935). Full Gear, page 152.

Designed to be worn separately .... The suit is made of chocolate-brown Glove Leather, lined with heavy Beaverized Lamb Fleece dyed to a contrasting shade of brown ......

Great detective work. Thanks!

asiamiles

Falcon_52 said:
That very well may be a breast pocket.

It is a pocket.

I can't be certain from my recording but looking at it on the TV screen it seems to be vertical slash pocket (rather than a patched one similar to one on a made in Japan Norton leather jacket I used to own...I always though such a pocket seemed a little odd and it was one reason why I sold the jacket; now I discover one on a really cool 30's jacket worn by Cagney! Argh!).

From that middle picture it looks like a piece of leather stitched on, but I don't think there's any other seams/edges. Here's another photo; all you can see is the last inch or two of double line of stitching, but it's a nice pic!

ceilingzero1.jpg

asiamiles

I just took another look at the film and the pocket opening actually goes from the visible seam (at the top) to about as far as the top of the lower pocket (at the bottom), so the two pockets actually slightly overlap, with the opening a couple of inches nearer the zipper than the right edge of the lower pocket. Hope I'm making myself clear!

asiamiles

And note that Cagney actually folds up his knit cuffs...of course, back in the day some jackets were made with especially long cuffs that were intended to be folded back.

Hamsterbear

asiamiles said:
And note that Cagney actually folds up his knit cuffs...of course, back in the day some jackets were made with especially long cuffs that were intended to be folded back.

Note: Cagney was 5' 6-1/2" tall, so perhaps the sleeves were too long for him?
The stunning 22 year old brunette beauty in the photos is none other than June Travis who passed away in April 2008 at the age of 93.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0871403/

asiamiles

Hamsterbear said:
asiamiles said:

Note: Cagney was 5' 6-1/2" tall, so perhaps the sleeves were too long for him?
The stunning 22 year old brunette beauty in the photos is none other than June Travis who passed away in April 2008 at the age of 93.

Yes, she wears that jacket well! ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure the cuffs on Cagney's jacket were intended to be folded up...just commenting on the fact that some jackets were made to be worn this way, like a sweater or cardigan.