• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you date this Flight Suit?

a2jacketpatches

Seems to be brown dominant ERDL ripstop with IDEAL zips throughout. By the looks of wear and pattern, it appears to be VN period. I know there was a WEPS suit similar experimented with in 1967 but this is different. Can anyone nail it down for me?

watchmanjimg

Looks like the post-Vietnam but pre-woodland era "RDF" camouflage pattern. That and the Ideal zips suggest late '70s-early '80s to me. I wish we could read the label but I've never seen a regulation item like this. What about the small tag at the inner collar?

a2jacketpatches

Small tag says 42, out of a storage locker here in Vegas with some VN era blues. The guy was asking way too much for the blues so he can keep em.

Edit - I was just checking out RDF stuff because I wasn't aware of it, it seems to have chunkier black. But this suit has very similar pattern to Brown Dominant ERDL. A quick read somewhere in my brief research did mention that leftover ERDL fabric was used for experimental clothing.