• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Sportswear G1 and Thank you to this group!

kl884347

Hi,
I've been a somewhat long time lurker picking up lots of information here and there but new to actually owning. I really appreciate all the knowledge, support, and sharing that goes on here.
I finaly picked up a reasonably priced G1, a California Sportswear. The knits are in rough shape and I will definitely have to replace them in the near future. That being said, I feel a bit sad about getting rid of the old ones if they are indeed original. I was hoping to be able to somehow salvage it but the right one looks like a German Shepherd got a hold of it. Also, do you guys have any tips on the etiquette of existing name tags? Is it OK to leave it on to preserve the history of the jacket or should it be removed?
Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG-0031.jpg
    IMG-0031.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG-0033.jpg
    IMG-0033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG-0034.jpg
    IMG-0034.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 148

mulceber

Definitely leave the name tag on. It's part of the history of the jacket.

As for the knits, it's a little bit tough to tell from the photos, as it's rather dark, but for knits in better condition, it's possible to darn them, but from what you describe, I'd say change out the knits. It's part of regular jacket maintenance. I'd get in contact with @STEVE S. , who's great at these kinds of things.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Agree with the two guys above . One more suggestion try to have the original owner of the jacket, the guy on the name tag write up a couple of paragraphs as to what he flew or flew on and obtain some pictures of him wearing the jacket while in the navy. It establishes provenance for the jacket and adds to its overall value .

mulceber

Agree with the two guys above . One more suggestion try to have the original owner of the jacket, the guy on the name tag write up a couple of paragraphs as to what he flew or flew on and obtain some pictures of him wearing the jacket while in the navy. It establishes provenance for the jacket and adds to its overall value .
Great idea.

YoungMedic

Hi,
I've been a somewhat long time lurker picking up lots of information here and there but new to actually owning. I really appreciate all the knowledge, support, and sharing that goes on here.
I finaly picked up a reasonably priced G1, a California Sportswear. The knits are in rough shape and I will definitely have to replace them in the near future. That being said, I feel a bit sad about getting rid of the old ones if they are indeed original. I was hoping to be able to somehow salvage it but the right one looks like a German Shepherd got a hold of it. Also, do you guys have any tips on the etiquette of existing name tags? Is it OK to leave it on to preserve the history of the jacket or should it be removed?
Thanks again!
Looks to be in beautiful condition, congrats

ZuZu

Hi,
Thanks again!
I have a WW2 Edmund T Church M422a and I've avoided changing out the cuffs even though they're bad because the existing stitch line is so cool and I've gotten used to just wearing it with raggedy knits. The last guy did- right?

That being said- I have a restored FEC 55J14 with new cuffs and waistband and it made all the difference- so...

Not much help-sorry!

kev15

Go for that knits replacement!
I have a fellow California Sportwear jacket in the exact same size and I was also considering to refresh the knits, however I kept the originals in the end. Mine are in a better shape though.

kl884347

Thanks for all the replies and input! I contacted Steve and will definitely use him when it comes time. The name tag will stay on! Just waiting for the weather to cool off to be able to wear it.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

I think your G-1 is amazing and that collar!

*(Personally) its should stay original and yes that cuff can be fixed. Cut and patch with a piece from a donor cuff. If well done, it looks like a sympathetic restoration.

* just a idea, not a directive...;)

D