• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cagleco G-1

Roughwear

Cagleco Sportswear, which became Ralph Edwards Sportswear in 1957, had six contracts for G-1s from 1954 to 1957. This jacket is from their penultimate contract from 1957. It is in near mint condition, with just a few repaired moth nips. The goatskin is in beautiful condition as is the lining and the dark mouton collar. It is a size 42 and I'm very pleased with the fit.

The jacket belonged to Belonged to LCDR H.P. Pruitt – Flight Officer (Communications/Intelligence).He served in Korea and Vietnam; late in his career was a member of the USN Airborne Early Warning Squadron 4 (VW4) – the Hurricane Hunters. This unit also tracked submarines as well.The squadron is famous for flying into Hurricanes and tropical storms!

Roughwear

I have a Fried Ostermann and a Gordon and Ferguson M422A and a Martin Lane G-1 in my collection. I used to own a Cagleca and regretted selling it, so when this one came up I jumped at it!

johnwayne

Ah ha, I wondered what year my Cagleco's were from and one is same contract but is a 44", my other and poss better condition is 39321A that I understood was a '54 but I'm sure you'll be able to put me right Andrew? I do like the fit of the G1 and have always hankered for a good M422/a I guess for no reason other than the WW11 connection plus, I prefer the scalloped pocket flaps and scarlet lining (although not all had that colour?). If I had a £1 for every time someone made a jokey comment like 'got your Spitfire parked outside' when I wear a G1 then l'd have collected a few quid - oh how I want to correct them but know I'd come over nerdy and boring probably!!
Cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

Hahaha! I love the bit about the Spitfire Wayne. Your Cagleco G-1 actually dates to 1957 and was the contract before mine.

Last edited:

YoungMedic

Looks like it was just made. Great looking jacket. The current NOAA Hurricane hunters frequent our area during the high season stopping at both NAS jax and NE Florida regional for overnights.

Marv

I thought my 1950's LW Foster G1 was almost mint until I saw this, beautiful, it looks perfect.