• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buzz Rickson B-15 in Blue

Monsoon

I was thinking about getting one of these. Some pics the jacket is blue, but on some Rakuten, the jacket looks purple. I know a lot of that is the type of camera or my monitor.

I guess my main question I have is: Does the blue jacket look cheap, like what some marching band or plastic-badge rent-a-cop would wear?

Thanks!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Monsoon said:
I guess my main question I have is: Does the blue jacket look cheap, like what some marching band or plastic-badge rent-a-cop would wear?

Maybe not that bad, but from time to time, they are resold on eBay NWT, or worn once ... I guess that tells us something. ;)

asiamiles

Blue nylon can look good. Take a look at the period photos. What size are you after?

Rutger

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
It's a dark blue flight jacket, and if the local marching band and the rent-a-cops walk around in dark blue flight jackets, most people will not see much of a difference. I think they usually walk around in very oversized jackets, don't they?

I've got a blue B-15C(mod), the collar does make it different.
It's this one: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8289

The Aussie connection will be able to get any type of BR.

I believe that BR (Toyo) did invest some money in bombarding several types of flight jackets with an UV-cannon, so as to create an "authentic" time worn effect. I've seen UV-ed MA-1 and WEP, so they probably abused a few B-15C's as well, which turned out purplish.

Dr H

Shhh....
Is Jeff listening?
That'll be that bathochromic (red) shift to longer wavelength again... :ugeek:

Tim P

I like my Buzz B15C and alpha b15d's. Thery don't look cheap at all and ARENT cheap.... :(

Its about whether you like the jacket more than what others see you as.

Monsoon

Tim P said:
Its about whether you like the jacket more than what others see you as.

Kinda like Jayne's hat in "Firefly"? "Man wears a hat like that, you know he's not afraid of anything!"

I think I'm going to stear clear of the blue. I just don't want to take the chance of how it might look.

Tim P

If in doubt leave it out. Maybe a b15b in olive should be a safer more military looking jacket. Unless thats too UPS.., Just kidding but I think you get what I mean. I have no issues myself with the blue.
That said, fan though I am of William Gibson range for instance, no way would I spring for an Ma1 because its just too venue 'security' for my own personal tastes so I do see what you mean about the mall cop stigma of the blue.

asiamiles

Rutger said:
Yes, I'm not keen on the dyed blue mouton collar...similarly I don't much like the dyed green collar of the B-15D.

watchmanjimg

asiamiles said:
Rutger said:
Yes, I'm not keen on the dyed blue mouton collar...similarly I don't much like the dyed green collar of the B-15D.

Agreed. In my opinion the C and D Mods are much better looking.

Monsoon

asiamiles said:

I agree. I think they dyed collars are what make them look cheap.

Tim P

Monsoon said:
asiamiles said:

I agree. I think they dyed collars are what make them look cheap.

you can of course authentically have a blue nylon jacket with olive drab knits, they were produced this way by manufacturers from overruns of olive knit. I imagine some B15's will have natural coloured collars too.

asiamiles

Tim P said:
I imagine some B15's will have natural coloured collars too.
There are civi blue B-15's with brown mouton fur collars; I annoyingly missed the end of auction of a Buzz one just a few days ago, as I think the brown mouton looks really nice on the blue cotton. I don't believe I've seen an issued blue B-15C with brown mouton, though of course fur collars were quite quickly replaced by knit ones in the mid-50's.