• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BUZZ RICKSON AMERICAN SPORTSWEAR AN6552

MaydayWei

Going by the original the pocket flaps look more 60’s G1 whereas on the repro they are more akin to an M442/a which personally I prefer - nonetheless a lovely jacket, enjoy!

I'm inclined to agree. Original American Sportswear AN6552s had a more clearly triangular pocket flap. The Buzz's looks scalloped.
American also used blackened Talons; the Buzz, in contrast, uses a Conmatic.
But Buzz were never known for 100% Sheeley/Goodwear accuracy.
Still a stunner. And more strikingly, they really nailed the colour of the leather.

MaydayWei

American AN6552 front.jpeg
American An6552 back.jpeg
Collar and Tag AN6552, American.jpeg
An6552 Talon.jpeg
US stencil.jpeg

Lorenzo_l

Looks gorgeous! Not many AN 6552 repros around, so a nice one to have. Wear it in good health, Grant and please send us pictures of it after winter. The way you wear your jackets, chances are it'll be looking like an original by then!

Dany McDonald

Maiday is that yours?

In anyways superb condition!

I've also noticed tha pocket flaps on Buzz are closer with W&G or Bogen An 6552...

Dany

ausreenactor

Buzz Rickson have access to the very best hides. How they utilise them can be hit and miss. I have had the same model in A-2s several times over. Some were disappointing; however, two have become dead set keepers. Forgot about my 23380 in a 42. An AVI is on the way to Ties now that looked like a great hide.

This jacket will only get better. Enjoy...

Dany McDonald

Grant it's one of my first original of 4 jackets I bought 6 years ago in a spending spree were I acquired a Monarch 7823 (AER), Pritzker 55J14 and Foster 7823 (AER) in a time frame of 6 months...

At that time I did not know that repros were available and in high quality. So I ended up with a small original USN flight jacket collection. The goat still smells nice on these after all these years...

The Bogen and the Pritzker are very nice, the Monarch needs attentions, especially the collar.

Dany

B-Man2

Grant it's one of my first original of 4 jackets I bought 6 years ago in a spending spree were I acquired a Monarch 7823 (AER), Pritzker 55J14 and Foster 7823 (AER) in a time frame of 6 months...

At that time I did not know that repros were available and in high quality. So I ended up with a small original USN flight jacket collection. The goat still smells nice on these after all these years...

The Bogen and the Pritzker are very nice, the Monarch needs attentions, especially the collar.

Dany
Dany
I’m sure you know this, but if you want the Monarch repaired Dave Sheeley is a wizard with USN jackets .

Dany McDonald

Burt,

I will have to post the jacket and ask you guys for your opinion if the Monarch deserves a restauration. The leather as well as the knits have issues... The collar is dead....

This can be costly....

And Dave Sheeley is the one to ask for sure!

Dany

B-Man2

Burt,

I will have to post the jacket and ask you guys for your opinion if the Monarch deserves a restauration. The leather as well as the knits have issues... The collar is dead....

This can be costly....

And Dave Sheeley is the one to ask for sure!

Dany
Spot on with all your comments .
Restorations done by knowledgeable artisans can definitely be costly . I’ve had one restored and can tell you that a good analogy of restoration is what I’ve said before .
Its like stepping into the center of a dark water filled puddle, 10 feet across . You never know how deep that puddle is until you’ve stepped into the middle of it and it’s too late to turn back and get out .
You’re also right in that Dave Sheeley is the person to ask .

Dany McDonald

I like that analogy a lot!

I don't wear my originals, it's a personal no-no base on the fact that I don't want to add to the wear of a jacket that was produced 75 years ago or even more... I am into caring more than wearing, unless for a walk around the block... Shit it's fun to feel the vibe of an original afterall.

But I wish I could wear a USN goatskin and that Monarch once restored will be a good candidate for everyday wear, not beating but going to a bar for an afternoon drink.

So it's go for a GW or Sheeley or spend some cash restoring the Monarch and voilà, a wearable G-1 that I can abuse a bit.

All make sense now, thanks Burt!

Dany

B-Man2

I like that analogy a lot!

I don't wear my originals, it's a personal no-no base on the fact that I don't want to add to the wear of a jacket that was produced 75 years ago or even more... I am into caring more than wearing, unless for a walk around the block... Shit it's fun to feel the vibe of an original afterall.

But I wish I could wear a USN goatskin and that Monarch once restored will be a good candidate for everyday wear, not beating but going to a bar for an afternoon drink.

So it's go for a GW or Sheeley or spend some cash restoring the Monarch and voilà, a wearable G-1 that I can abuse a bit.

All make sense now, thanks Burt!

Dany
Dany
I feel the same about the originals I own . I thought that when I got involved buying them that they would look cool wearing them , however I soon realized that there are only a finite number of originals from WWII left today . There will never be anymore . So now I feel like I’m just a caretaker for them until the next guy comes along . Repros are the way to go for me now .

mulceber

No matter what you do or do not do, eventually they will be dust. Not trying to be a downer but time wins always.

And that’s exactly my argument for wearing them (albeit gently). Tanning only delays decay, it doesn’t stop it. Might as well enjoy these jackets while they still exist. Don’t use them for digging ditches, obviously, but wearing them to the grocery store or for a walk? Have at it.

Wz1999

And that’s exactly my argument for wearing them (albeit gently). Tanning only delays decay, it doesn’t stop it. Might as well enjoy these jackets while they still exist. Don’t use them for digging ditches, obviously, but wearing them to the grocery store or for a walk? Have at it.
Well said!