• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buffalo Hide

Striker

Were many vintage flight and motorcycle jackets made out of buffalo hide, or was it rarely used? Does anyone have any jackets that are made out of buffalo? Does buffalo have any advantages? Does it have a lot more grain detail than horsehide and cowhide?

Thanks,

Striker

catinhat95

Original American flight jackets were almost exclusively made from goat skin and horse hide. I dont think they ever used buffalo hide. Aero makes what appears to be a nice A-2 in jerky buffalo hide that looks to be very grainy and tough looking. They claim it's as strong and tough as any leather comes.

Vcruiser

Also..I have never seen a vintage MC jacket made from Buffalo.
Hear's my repro Aero in seal Buffalo...

100_0418.jpg

100_0419.jpg

100_0428.jpg

Striker

The buffalo leather jacket looks great. So much grain detail.

Is it corret to say that buffalo has a much more pronounced grain than horse, cow or goat?

How does the buffalo A-2 leather 'feel'? Is it stiff or is it soft and leathery? How would you rate the hide on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being the highest)?

Thanks,

Striker

Vcruiser

Striker said:
The buffalo leather jacket looks great. So much grain detail.

Is it corret to say that buffalo has a much more pronounced grain than horse, cow or goat?

How does the buffalo A-2 leather 'feel'? Is it stiff or is it soft and leathery? How would you rate the hide on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being the highest)?

Thanks,

Striker

Stricker
I think there may be some confusion about Buffalo hide. If I recall correctly...Ken at Aero told me once that this is Water Buffalo hide. I've seen jackets labeled Buffalo here in the states that was Bison (Buffalo)...also a tough hide...but not near as heavily grained as this hide. Recently...I've seen American MC jackets labeled as BuffaloHide..but seem like more of a hvy naked(unfinished) cowhide to me.
Yes..the buffalo pictured is heavily grained compared to the HH that is now offered...even the jerky stuff. When I received this jacket...I noticed the crisper feel to the finish..which reminded me of some of the jerky old HH of the '40s in a way. Somewhat a smoothed slick polished feel over the grain..like from unabrasive wear(Like on some original A2s)....if this makes sense. It is not stiff...or cardbardlike as some new HH can be. The finish has that crisp feel to it(best I can discribe it!)....but very comfortable to wear. It is not spongey...and maybe just a wee bit thicker than the average A-2 HH. Also..it is not shiny..but just has that smoothed polish look to it.
As far as A-2 authenticity it isn't even on the scale......but as a great hide...I rate it a 10.
...but I'm relunctant to recommend anything..you know how that can go. If your interested ask Aero for samples. Keep in mind that Aero's "Russet" Buffalo hide is quite different than the seal. The russet(for some reason) resembles pebbly goat.
Van

BTW..Last spring I was caught in a downpour...where most jackets would have been soaked..much of the rain just ran off of ths Buffalo hide A-2. Didn't soak much up....I was pleasantly surprized!

sgbailey2002

All of the 5 Aero Buffalo A-2's I had made were of equal grain, softness and quality. A heavier hide but soft and good feel from the beginning. They are Water Buffalo. Van's is one I had made.

SGB

Vcruiser

sgbailey2002 said:
All of the 5 Aero Buffalo A-2's I had made were of equal grain, softness and quality. A heavier hide but soft and good feel from the beginning. They are Water Buffalo. Van's is one I had made.

SGB

Yep...I purchased it from SGB.
Hey SGB...do you remember the fragrance of the buff leather? Best smelling hide I ever put on.
VB

Striker

Hey Van,

That is interesting that you mentioned 'fragrance'.

Is that what they do, the tannery actually adds a fragrance to the hides? I have a leather jacket that I probably first started wearing 17 years ago. Wore it for 5 or 6 years. To this day it still has the same 'scent'.

So what the tannery does is it adds a particular fragrant scent to the leather?

Do the original A-2's retain their leather fragrance after all these years?

Striker

sgbailey2002

Vcruiser said:
sgbailey2002 said:

SGB

Yep...I purchased it from SGB.
Hey SGB...do you remember the fragrance of the buff leather? Best smelling hide I ever put on.
VB

Not really, been awhile, and I had so many jackets come and go.

Vcruiser

Striker said:
Hey Van,

Is that what they do, the tannery actually adds a fragrance to the hides? I have a leather jacket that I probably first started wearing 17 years ago. Wore it for 5 or 6 years. To this day it still has the same 'scent'.

Striker

Striker
I don't really know if they "add" a fragrance. It might make scents..er I mean sense :),though to hide the odor of chemicals used in the tanning process. However..many of my leather jackets,when new,had very little smell to them. Every once in a while one might have a more "leathery" smell to it. My Aero Buff had...and has..a fragrance like "cookies baking in the oven"...and a bit of musky hint(no kidding!). When wearing it...I receive more compliments on my unusually great smelling cologne.
Naw..the WW2 A2s I've handled just seem to smell old...sometimes with a whiff of Old Spice deoderant maybe. :D
Van

sgbailey2002

Vcruiser said:
Striker said:
Hey Van,

Striker

Striker
I don't really know if they "add" a fragrance. It might make scents..er I mean sense :),though to hide the odor of chemicals used in the tanning process. However..many of my leather jackets,when new,had very little smell to them. Every once in a while one might have a more "leathery" smell to it. My Aero Buff had...and has..a fragrance like "cookies baking in the oven"...and a bit of musky hint(no kidding!). When wearing it...I receive more compliments on my unusually great smelling cologne.
Naw..the WW2 A2s I've handled just seem to smell old...sometimes with a whiff of Old Spice deoderant maybe. :D
Van

Gee, maybe the jacket was around my kitchen before I sold it to you....usually everything at the ranch smelled like a ranch; hay, horses, cattle, etc.

Sounds like a nice smell, should offer it as an option on new jackets. :D

SGB

bseal

You have me curious, when did you have the jacket made? Long gone hide I presume? It's eventual fate?

bseal

Did you supply Gibson & Barnes with the hide? It's not a leather that they advertise that they carry.

Peter Graham

Vcruiser said:
the WW2 A2s I've handled just seem to smell old...sometimes with a whiff of Old Spice deoderant maybe. :D
Van
I love the smell of old leather jackets, especially shearlings, but I'm a bit odd. They smell like......victory !