• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken grain ?

Dumpster D

A guy can vaguely remember when they first introduced the 50cal. collection. New Feature words like 'Timeworn' and 'Warhorse' and 'Broken grain' with a re-vamped website.

Hazy, foggy, dim, is my recollection.

20 years ago, feels more like a lifetime ago somehow.

They were selling those Tanker Helmets. Wish they kept the story how they found a stash of original helmets on the site.

Saved up and ordered a B-2 hat back in high school. Made of the original hide before broken grain, then 50cal. B-2's were introduced not long after.

Not sure when they came out with the Crown Spring loaded Zippers, somewhere around that time too.

Chandler

The story I heard from Marc Weinshenker, many years ago (mid 90s?) was that Gary was using grainy hides originally then customers complained about paying so much for an old looking jacket. So he switched to smoother hides.

My 1401 from the mid to late 90s was smooth out of the box -- it's got well-worn grain in various spots now. Has some great character.
ITkoca2.jpg

KNDSpAo.jpg

Last edited: