• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BR N-1 Deck jacket "Seawater" question...

havocpaul

I got myself a nice Buzz Rickson N-1 deck jacket in their 'seawater wash' finish for a very good price on eBay and it just arrived in the post this morning. I need some feedback please as to whether these 'seawater' jackets should have a strong smell? It hit me as I opened the box and initially I thought it was tobacco smell which having never been a smoker really effects me, but before I ask the seller if he was a heavy smoker I thought I'd ask if anyone knows here what the smell might be if not tobacco. It wasn't listed as having any odours, stains, etc and really looks almost unworn. I am hoping if it is part of their 'seawater' treatment then it will fade with time.

FlyingYankee

Probably was worn in pubs , good news is the smell will eventually go away. I have hand washed some jackets with cool water and woolite and it takes out the old man smell as my daughter calls it.

havocpaul

I decided to contact the seller as after closing my door and window last night the smell was overpowering and definitely tobacco. To his credit he admitted it was because he was a smoker and agreed to a return and refund. In past experience bad tobacco smells seldom vanishes especially with jackets with wool and fleece. Am gutted as it was a brilliant repro at a great price but couldn't live with the smell.

MikeyB-17

I have a leather jacket (a Lee Cooper in a Barbour bike jacket style-one of my favourite jackets) which reeked of fag smoke when I bought it. I tried several things, but eventually it was leaving it outside in the Sun for a few days which got rid of the smell. It's not a problem now.

asiamiles

I agree. If you like the jacket and the price was so reasonable I would definitely risk it. Maybe you could even ask the seller if he would give you a discount.