• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BR M422a creaking

Hi everyone

i just got a BR M422a but finding the leather creaks a lot with every movement

any ideas on how to stop the creaking would be much appreciated

Skyhawk

Are you sure it's not your bones? Just kidding!
Sounds like it needs to be broken in. If it's new I wouldn't put anything on the leather, just wear it a lot. Wear it in some heavy downpours to get it soaked and then don't take it off until it dries. This will help speed up the break in process. The sound is probably due to the thick leather being a bit stiff but it should get better with wear.

thanks skyhawk
it probably is my bones .........

I'll try wearing it in , but it wasnt new and I've never had this problem with horse jackets , wondering if it's because it's goat ?

Peter Graham

I've never had a problem with creaking goatskin. I've always associated creaking with thicker leather, like steer. Is the goatskin thicker than normal, although I'm not sure what's normal for goat but in my experience it's thinner than horse or steer.

Skyhawk

Yes it's probably the thickness. The G-1's seem to fall all over the place on weight. I have seen 2.5 oz goat and up to 3.5 oz maybe even 4.o oz in some of the Ralph Edwards 1960's jackets. I will look up the specs. I have an old RE that still creaks a bit. The Cow hide ones really creak a lot!

ButteMT61

I've used both Peacard's and Vaseline, both which have helped with the "movie theatre squeak".
Bones, have another beer or two. It's pretty much the way it goes ;)

Marv

this is true, I have a 1977 Ralph Edwards G1 made from cowhide and it really does creak a lot even though the jacket is fully broken in.

Silver Surfer

i have original m-422as, that still creak after all these years. that "klingon cadet jacket" creak seems to be a goatie kinda thing. i have applied some vaseline to the creaky areas, and that works a little, but the noise tends to come back some.

devilish

I have jackets in all kinds of hide, from HH to Cape and they all creek to some extent or another. The only thing that seems to stop it is temperature. If the jackets are good and warm, they don't squeak. None of the various leather conditioning products have ever made a real difference. In fact a couple have made it worse. Obenaufs being the worst. I have seen people suggest rubbing in baby powder or arrow root flour but that's messy and I would think hard to get clean afterwards?
It used to make me nuts but now I've excepted it as part and parcel of wearing a leather jacket.