Bill Kelso timeline of leather, with a little wear thrown in...

Discussion in 'Repros' started by Skip, Jan 25, 2018.

1. jeremiah

jeremiah Active Member

Speaking of smells. My ELC monarch has lost that smell. Very faint now. What I have noticed with other jackets though is not wearing them for a while then putting them on the smell returns so I surmise it is my olefactory senses that get used to the smell when I am wearing day in and day out.

2. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

That could be a point Jeremiah, the older Kelso hides seem to exude their fragrance as if its never going to run out. I do notice though if you leave your jacket in the car, in the sun, the aroma does return. Maybe it just needs warming up

M3Cavalry likes this.
  3. M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry Member

Horween chromexcel might be the gold standard for smell, although this liberty hide is up there.

Just emailed BK that a few of us would certainly order jackets in Victory antique russet horsehide if they ever brought it back. Matt, does that smell any differently than the ANJ3 leather you have?

Skip likes this.
  4. M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry Member

Per BK:

as much as we like it too, unfortunately, there is no Victory horsehide russet left is stock and we cannot restock as it has been discontinued at the tannery.

Even if we ever bring back the same leather from that tannery, it will not be in the same antique russet finish as that was a hand applied finish and that method is no longer in use at the tannery.

5. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

The antique russet of my Werber smells different to the Victory. The antique actually smells like a horse, quite an unusual and pungent aroma was extremely strong when new, now is quite muted but still noticeable . The victory smells like leather and is fairly strong when in an enclosed space. I'll smell it at work when I leave my jacket behind my chair, ambient warmth brings it out. The ELC warhorse smells just like normal leather and is barely discernible unless your wearing it in a warm environment; the Victory on the other hand is stronger, has a more richer deeper note to its aroma and you do notice it, one thing I like about it. Its definitely to unpleasant.

Shame about the Victory/antique, just have to keep an eye out for secondhand jackets that appear

6. herk115

herk115 Active Member

I believe you. I live near Las Vegas and it's almost triple digits here, yet I'm running around -- inside -- in my brand new secondhand ELC RW 27752.

Skip likes this.
  7. M3Cavalry

M3Cavalry Member

BK ANJ3 measurements—stock size 44 with no modifications. For reference, I am 70” and 180lbs with a 43.5” chest and 34” waist. Jacket fits great.

Shoulders: 18”
    Back (from bottom of collar): 25.5”
    Sleeve (with knits, measured along top per BK instructions): 25.5”
    Pit to pit (roughly): 21”
    Front along zip: 22.5”

My Eastman in a 46 is 19.5 in the shoulder and 22.25” pit to pit. ANJ3 much harder to measure pit to pit accurately. The gussets and biswing are a huge advantage. I’ll be hard pressed to buy another A-2 now having this design.

8. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

Big thank you M3Cavalry. I'm saving up.