• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Kelso (Hilts)

mulceber

I've talked about it here before but one of the most liberating things I did was to make the decision I have enough jackets and coats (and by God do I) and to just wear what I have. This was sparked in part by my martial arts instructor who practices Zen. I'm not a Zen Buddhist but his "less is more" philosophy struck a chord with me.

If one falls apart then sure I'll buy something but up to that point I'm just going to wear what I have. It's been nice to be unburdened from that constant itch to get a new or better jacket.

I'm sure others will baulk at such heretical thoughts but trust me it's actually bloody nice ;)
I had a revelation in a similar vein (though maybe not quite as austere): you don't need to own a jacket in order to appreciate it. Seems damn obvious, but it's so easy to fall into the trap of seeing the latest jacket from John, ELC or Buzz Rickson and say "wow, that's amazing - I want it." Reminding myself that I can enjoy it from afar has lately allowed me to enjoy what people post up here without rushing to grab my wallet.

That said, I'm still collecting jackets. ;) I just hope to be a bit more deliberate about it going forward.

Smithy

I had a revelation in a similar vein (though maybe not quite as austere): you don't need to own a jacket in order to appreciate it. Seems damn obvious, but it's so easy to fall into the trap of seeing the latest jacket from John, ELC or Buzz Rickson and say "wow, that's amazing - I want it." Reminding myself that I can enjoy it from afar has lately allowed me to enjoy what people post up here without rushing to grab my wallet.

That said, I'm still collecting jackets. ;) I just hope to be a bit more deliberate about it going forward.

You're still relatively new to this malady Jan so you need to do the buying!

But with that said, well done! I have the same feeling, I get a lot of enjoyment seeing chaps' jackets without the immediate feeling that I must own similar that I had before. I'm the other side of 50 so I also think it's time to put the miles on the jackets I have and like.

Smithy

All about it. I already own the grail jackets I wanted growing up and I’m even considering passing those on. Ultimately I want to be able to walk around butt naked or with just a loincloth on and , in the winter, stay warm by doing burpees every few feet. Is that weird?

So long as your todger doesn't get frostbite and you have to write about it publically like that obnoxious ranga Harry has then I'd wager you're hurting no one ;)

OperationCoffee

It becomes a problem when at some point you bought a jacket because it looked like the one you really wanted, then you buy the jacket you really wanted ( let’s call it an original) and then you bought a repop of that jacket to actually wear and then you buy a repop of the repop because it’s closer to the original you never even wear. And all this is not confined to just one jacket.

Smithy

It becomes a problem when at some point you bought a jacket because it looked like the one you really wanted, then you buy the jacket you really wanted ( let’s call it an original) and then you bought a repop of that jacket to actually wear and then you buy a repop of the repop because it’s closer to the original you never even wear. And all this is not confined to just one jacket.

If we're completely honest that's either stupidity or a mild form of OCD.

BTW I've done that and documented it here with the "B-15C Incident" of 2013. What a fucking twerp I was. Thankfully I'm perhaps learning as I grow older. Hoping anyway.

Drzdave58

Just had some pics sent to me of this jacket. I've never been a fan of these, the thought of wearing a jacket with someone else's name, from a movie wasn't my thing. But, I would make an exemption for this, I love it.View attachment 132627
I have a newer BK hilts jacket. the name tag doesn’t bother me in the least and I hate logos or big labels on jackets. Besides it’s Steve McQueen, the king of cool.

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 61

petermack09

So, much as I love this jacket, unfortunately the numbers don't work out for me, after closely measuring my Aero, that fits perfectly, the escape jacket is shorter by 1.5in. Nowadays I disregard the size tag completely. I have a room full of jackets that don't work for me, I don't care that a seller is bigger than me and that's why it will fit me, everyone has a different body shape, so ultimately their opinion doesn't matter. Getting upset about it won't make me feel bad., I gave some serious thought, checked everything and it wouldn't work, period. Who wants to look like a bullfighter or a Spanish waiter, no offence to any bullfighters or waiters reading this, Ole,, :)