• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big GW sz 48 BIN 675

Andrew

B'jeezs, just idly looking at it and thinking it was my size and meant to hit the watch button and before I knew it i'd hit the BIN button! Good thing you need to confirm it... so backed right out. I own the original pattern jacket for John's Perry plus my King of the Heavies, so I don't need another. If it were a Dubow on the other hand....

ausreenactor

Ideal jacket for a 'flip'. It will be gone pretty quickly. Wth the price going up, this is a gimme.

Couchy

Atticus

RCSignals said:
Maybe his measurement is off but that 24" pit to pit is more like a 44 or a tighter 46
Yep. If had been anywhere close to a real 48 it would be on the way to New Bern right now.

AF

ButteMT61

Atticus said:
RCSignals said:
Maybe his measurement is off but that 24" pit to pit is more like a 44 or a tighter 46
Yep. If had been anywhere close to a real 48 it would be on the way to New Bern right now.

AF

That's the ONLY reason I didn't buy it the first time it was on. It actually sold for less the first time, and the buyer flaked. If it weren't for that darn pit #, I'd have bought it day one.

Atticus

John PMed me shortly after I posted my concerns about the Perry's chest size. He remembers making it and said it was a solid size 48 when it left his shop. But I was still timid about pulling the trigger for fear that the jacket had been purposely shrunk using some silly hot water process or whatever. Still, as Clark says, it could have been a good flip.

AF

RCSignals

Atticus said:
John PMed me shortly after I posted my concerns about the Perry's chest size. He remembers making it and said it was a solid size 48 when it left his shop. But I was still timid about pulling the trigger for fear that the jacket had been purposely shrunk using some silly hot water process or whatever. Still, as Clark says, it could have been a good flip.

AF

A HWT could be the reason it went up for sale.....no longer fit. Seems there are quite a few jackets end up getting passed on because of that process

ButteMT61

RCSignals said:
Atticus said:

AF

A HWT could be the reason it went up for sale.....no longer fit. Seems there are quite a few jackets end up getting passed on because of that process

No, he lost his job. I emailed him as well hoping I could fit into that thing. Sad story, probably very common today... :(

RCSignals

ButteMT61 said:
RCSignals said:
Atticus said:

AF

No, he lost his job. I emailed him as well hoping I could fit into that thing. Sad story, probably very common today... :(

He may have lost his job, but the size of the jacket isn't what it was made, unless he measured wrong. Maybe he bought it used from someone who HWT it.

ButteMT61

RCSignals said:
He may have lost his job, but the size of the jacket isn't what it was made, unless he measured wrong. Maybe he bought it used from someone who HWT it.

Do you think one could change one dimension of jacket that much and not screw up the whole thing? Seems way to off in the pits?

RCSignals

ButteMT61 said:
RCSignals said:

Do you think one could change one dimension of jacket that much and not screw up the whole thing? Seems way to off in the pits?

As I said on th first page, the measurement is wrong for a jacket this size.
Since we know that it probably hasn't been HWT, he has to have measured incorrectly, I don't think GW would ever make the jacket that way.
Logic should have told him he measured wrong as no size 48 is going to have a chest circumference of only 48 "

Anyway I think HWT and Especially with forced drying could change dimensions of a jacket in the way you ask, and shrinkage would not be uniform.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
As I said on th first page, the measurement is wrong for a jacket this size.
Since we know that it probably hasn't been HWT, he has to have measured incorrectly, I don't think GW would ever make the jacket that way.
Logic should have told him he measured wrong as no size 48 is going to have a chest circumference of only 48 ".

Yes, it's most likely he measured the chest incorrectly, or not at all ... it's surprising how many eBay sellers think that the tagged size is the chest measurement.

ButteMT61

Well, maybe the 2nd buyer will fall through and I'll get my bonus in time to buy it :)
I've seen a fairly large number of GW jackets on ebay this fall. And in larger than typical sizes. Maybe all of us bigger guys are going broke buying jackets???

RCSignals

There have been quite a few larger A-2s on eBay lately, 46 and up. there are a few 48 Aeros too.
When it rains it pours