• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big guy alert, huge rw a-2

Silver Surfer

i have listed a huge original 23380 rough wear on greed bay. when i was told about the jacket, the owner said it was big, like a size 44. hahahaha, like hell, this jacket is the biggest a-2 i have ever seen or handled.. its got to be a size 48-50...at least. how many guys were in the aaf, that could have worn an a-2 that big??? a dozen? anyhoo, it is item # 330918808339.

Roughwear

This is a rare beast Vic. Shame it's not a 44 otherwise I would hit the button....BTW. Where did you get the repro label from? BK perhaps?

Silver Surfer

this is as the jacket came to me. nothing added, nothing take away. damn near big enough to make two human sized a-2s out of. megamorph jac

Roughwear

Silver Surfer said:
this is as the jacket came to me. nothing added, nothing take away. damn near big enough to make two human sized a-2s out of. megamorph jac

An A2 with an original label fetches about around a third more than one without. Sometimes repro labels are sewn in original jackets and not declared when auctioned on Ebay to inflate the sale price. It looks like you bought a jacket with a repro label Vic.

Below is an original label, which is 71 years old and the layout of the letters is not identical to the repro one. It looks like it has been artificially aged too. I'm sure I have seen similarly distressed repro labels before.

014-12.jpg

A

Anonymous

First, BK does not sell labels separately. Second, the BK label is perfect replica of original because we use the "transparency method"
A high res jpg of the original label and a vector drawing is given to the label maker who creates a woven sample. Then the transparency of the original label is applied on the sample, and the sample is corrected accordingly. Thanks to the transparency method it is possible that all the characters, their sizes and distances between them are made to match the original.

Roughwear

Good for you Platon. I know many of you labels come from JC, but as JC does not make this jacket he is unlikely to have the labels. However The Few does make this RW contract and maybe the source of this label.

A

Anonymous

In fact, I think all the Japanese companies make this contract. Seems to be a favorite.

Silver Surfer

megamorph. still, ya have to wonder, just how many guys were of the size to wear this jac, during wwll. as they said of the big farmer, "outstanding in his field".

A

Anonymous

I 'd say it belonged to the unit's cook, ha ha !!!

You may not believe this, but I have statistics that show that army air corps/force men were actually much bigger than army/infantry men.

Silver Surfer

you would think. if you have ever been in the cockpit of any wwll us aircraft, even the heavies, you are shocked at how little room there is. im not even sure that a man in the size 50 range could even shoe horn himself through any hatches.....well, maybe through bomb bay doors.

A

Anonymous

yeah, I am not saying they were all size 50, I am saying that on average they were bigger than the infantry guys.
I will post that document when I find the time.