• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

big guy alert #2 pre war rw

Roughwear

This is a terrific looking 1941 RW. From the measurements it well be a mis-tagged 44. I'll check them out against my tagged 44 from the 16159 contract. I was wondering when I saw the picture of the zip puller whether it was a replacement as all the ones I have seen had/have the rectangular Talon puller, but as we know there are always exceptions in this great hobby.

Roughwear

I have compared the label on this and the one on my 44 and other original A2s and think it could be replica. Original RW labels were made from gold thread but this one seems too yellow (it could be the lighting). The spacing of some of the letters do not seem quite correct and the 4 on the name tag is the closed variety when an open 4 was used on RW size tags. On the left side of the label there appears to be some stitch holes where an original label was sewn on. Perhaps at some stage a RM 16159 label was added to the jacket to enhance its appeal and sale price.

I have compared the dimensions of this jacket with my original size 44 and they correspond closely. Although jackets were miss tagged in the factory, this one was most likely made as a size 44 and the size 42 on the label may be a further indicator of a much later label.

Dr H

So if the label is not kosher was is the general feeling for the contract? Not usually a fan of RWs but this looks well patinated.

Another A-2 ebay auction pulled early.

The gnarly hide and russet color on this one, to me, epitomize the A-2--I would have liked a chance to bid, despite the suspect label. Oh well. I wonder if it was, in fact, a 16159.

stubbyeighth