Befton Clo. Co. A-2 Info

Discussion in 'eBay / Auction Talk' started by Technonut2112, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Technonut2112

Technonut2112 Well-Known Member

Ran across this Befton Clo. Co. A-2 the other day.. I've seen others here and there over the years, but never could figure-out just who Befton is/was?? I am familiar with Sefton Clo. Co. (Steve Silburn's) A-2's, and am surprised there's practically nothing mentioned of Befton. Looks to be a VERY nicely patterned and constructed A-2 for the asking price (or better yet, a lower 'Best Offer'). ;) My strong Google-Fu is failing me on this one... Anyone have some info to enlighten me? :)

EDIT: Hmmm.. Upon closer examination, even the wrist knits on the Befton are seamed like Sefton's were, but the epaulets look positioned correctly, unlike Steve's, which were rolled more towards the front..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Befton-Clo-Corp-A-2-Brown-Leather-Flight-Jacket-Beacon-NY-Size-48/152998838559?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

My initial thoughts were that it is a Sefton, maybe an early one with a mis-spelt label? We've had labels delivered with errors in the past, Lost Worlds have continued to use a Dubow label with a missing number. When is it financially worth ditching a paid for run of labels and when is it more ecconomical to bite the bullet and use what you've got? Buddy Holly's name was mis-spelt on the label of his first single, he stuck with the Holly surname, should have been Holley

On the other hand I've never seen a Sefton with contrast sleeve lining, and I've never seen one with such a badly positioned hanger loop.

Technonut2112 likes this.
  3. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Has someone not been busy with a gold marker pen to make it look "different" ?

4. Technonut2112

The Sefton's I've seen use a different label than the 'Befton' on eBay, so I see no reason for the 'Befton' to have an altered label:

EDIT: Looking closely at the eBay 'Befton', the label lettering looks original and unaltered. Curiously, both have the same contract / order #..

Sefton Label:

f4b764f5b07a0e58753d65967087e6cd.jpg

'Befton' Label:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Carl likes this.
  5. Ken at Aero Leather

I'd say that the contract number virtually guarantees it's a Sefton, and judging by the tab sewing and lining, one from an early learning curve.
    Whether Steve was using a (paid for but) mis-spelt label for the economics of a start up or he later decided to change the Company name, either way, it's the same firm

Technonut2112 and Carl like this.
  6. Ken at Aero Leather

Spelling errors aren't just made on clothing labels..................would YOU eat these sausages? sei_8845983.jpg

Peter Graham and jack31916 like this.
  7. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

Pmsl !!!

8. Technonut2112

Seems to make sense.. :) I've seen a scant few of these, and always wondered without researching further. The jacket looks to be actually patterned quite well, even better than some of his later work from what I've seen. The hanger stitching being off is noticeable for certain, but not a deal-breaker considering the overall nice construction, and other detailing. ;) If it can be had for a bit less than the asking price via Best Offer, it looks leaps and bounds above other A-2's in that price range. If one wanted to tinker, knits & lining could be replaced, but personally, I would leave it alone.. Sefton's are more or less wearable collector's items these days, with not many seen around. :)

9. Technonut2112

Can't edit my above post... In defense of the now sold 'Befton's wonky hanger placement, I ran across this Lost Worlds Dubow recently: :eek::p

LW Dubow.jpg

I wish I would have had the extra $$ to purchase the 'Befton'.. Good, solid-looking A-2 made by one of the pioneer jacket-meisters of our hobby... :)