• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Become an instant RAF Airman for £1,750!

Roughwear

With the limited photos and minimal description it is hard to be sure of the condition of the kit for sale. Could it be the "seller" has his own private museum or took the photos in museum and the stuff is not really for sale! ;) Unless the
kit belonged to a named pilot the starting price seems somewhat steep. Not clear if the dummy is also for sale. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... otohosting

Roughwear

tamoko said:
"Ervin" jacket. Seller from UK :?

Yes. I've seen it written as Irwin and Erwin from time to time. I suspect this may be a sham auction as no true collector of this kit would use the word Ervin. You pay your money and for some reason never the kit, which actually belongs to a museum!

fleet16b

It doesn't seem to be getting much action.

Andrew,
I thought I read somewhere that originally Leslie Irvin was Irwin and that there was a slip up during the patent process for the jacket.
Have you ever heard anything like that ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
fleet16b said:
I thought I read somewhere that originally Leslie Irvin was Irwin and that there was a slip up during the patent process for the jacket.

Irvin, was always Irvin ... by clerical error, the company was first registered in USA as Irving Air Chute Co.

Thread here ......

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2926

Roughwear

In fact the label on my early 30s jacket has the spelling "Irving" as part of "Irving suit. I would be suprised if the kit sells especially as one can buy the kit individually cheaper than the start price. I am still sceptical about the ownership of the kit-the seller or a museum?

Andrew

fleet16b said:

No, this is incorrect, Leslie Leroy Irvin was the inventor and patent applicant of the suits, parachutes and harnesses.

Andrew, I tend to agree with you that it all belongs to a Museum. It's unlikely that anyone with the knowledge to collect all these items would sell them with so little info, details and photographs. I reckon it might be a scam.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Andrew, I tend to agree with you that it all belongs to a Museum. It's unlikely that anyone with the knowledge to collect all these items would sell them with so little info, details and photographs. I reckon it might be a scam.

That's a little tough, Andrews. :)

Perhaps he's just an inexperienced seller .... he keeps listing associated items, and he recieved positive feedback for his first sale in October.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/malcolm ... omZQQ_mdoZ

Roughwear

Now a reliable source tells me the police are looking for someone who stole valuable items from an air museum....... ;)

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:
Now a reliable source tells me the police are looking for someone who stole valuable items from an air museum....... ;)

Well there you go, Andrew ...... what a rascal !! :eek:

So you don't think that he might be a museum volunteer, legitimately selling surplus exhibits, to fund other projects?

http://www.brenzettaero.co.uk/Museum-001.html

He might be, David. I was just having a bit of fun! :lol: