• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beautiful Air Apaches patch

TankBuster

Beat me to it UG! This is a reproduction that was made in California back in the 70's and 80's by a guy that passed them off as originals. They were all very well done and burned many patch collectors back then. Once you know what to look for, they are easy to spot as they are all done in a somewhat similar fashion. This seller has been peddeling many of them lately, and has burned more than a few.

unclegrumpy

TankBuster said:
This is a reproduction that was made in California back in the 70's and 80's by a guy that passed them off as originals.
Yes, passed off as originals and originally emanating from California, but I am sure made in either India or Pakistan.

I remember the guy who flew in with a suitcase full of different ones back then.....priced at $10 to $20 each if you bought five or more wholesale from behind the table, $75 to $250 each if you did not know what was going on, and picked from what he had on the top of the table. What further complicated matters is for the same price, you could pick between mint or artificially aged versions.....monkey piss was still cheap back then. :D

A

Anonymous

Thats not all thats fake in California.
th.jpg

kiltie

I put this one on "watch" as soon as I saw it. I was happy to see the consensus here was that it is a reproduction, as I want one to sew on a jacket. I figured the price would stay around 30-40 dollar MAX ...

Hmmmm... doesn't seem to be the case. You folks still saying its a repro? What's the tip-off ( aside from the seller's history )?
I can't believe I'm going to be priced out of a repro, and moreover that there's a bidding war. Surely people prepared to drop the kind of money this thing is headed for would be able to recognize...

A

Anonymous

Go Texas, hope they win today! the patch is still at around 50.00, an original of this quality work I would guess be over a hundred at this point with watchers waiting to snipe at the last second. A good quality repro could go around 80.00 if a popular design.

TankBuster

kiltie said:
I put this one on "watch" as soon as I saw it. I was happy to see the consensus here was that it is a reproduction, as I want one to sew on a jacket. I figured the price would stay around 30-40 dollar MAX ...

Hmmmm... doesn't seem to be the case. You folks still saying its a repro? What's the tip-off ( aside from the seller's history )?
I can't believe I'm going to be priced out of a repro, and moreover that there's a bidding
war. Surely people prepared to drop the kind of money this thing is headed for would be able to recognize...

People get burned and spend big money on repros all the time. A person has to do their homework, but sadly that is not always the case.

a2jacketpatches

Going rate on this patch is about 200- but can be had for 150- to if you're patient. This guy has 3 repops up of different squadrons, or at least had them up the last time I looked. All listed in the originals category. Getting back to the Maguire Flight jackets books, if you had them all, a red flag would go up on these patches. For the cost of getting burned on one squadron patch, you could have them all. Good eye candy, but good reference as well.

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
Going rate on this patch is about 200- but can be had for 150- to if you're patient.
The above price is for a REAL one, not one of these fakes!

TankBuster said:
People get burned and spend big money on repros all the time. A person has to do their homework, but sadly that is not always the case.
Perfectly stated Jeff. Many times two bidders on eBay are equally ignorant. Besides homework, there is the experience of years of seeing the different fakes surface.....and yes, sometimes getting burned by them and the crooks bent on deception that peddle them.

Have some patience, there is nothing wrong with getting a good a reproduction patch for your jacket, but just don't get sucked into paying more than a reproduction price for it.

A

Anonymous

If I was looking for a good reproduction for a high end jacket I would go 100.00 on this one, as I have not seen better.

kiltie

Well, it's up past a buck fifty with five plus hours to go: I'm out. Interesting to hear that a bill is reasonable for a top end reproduction, though. Good to know.

a2jacketpatches

Being purchased as if an original, no doubt about that now. Just sent this to the seller, anyone else give him the heads up as a benefit of the doubt?

"This patch is realizing a price as if it's original, you have two others that seem to be doing the same. These three patches are reproductions and you have them listed in original period items and have not described as reproductions. Your auctions are being watched and your user name noted. I have been following the thread and thought I would let you know in case you were unaware.
Thanks, Sean"

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
That's what I meant, a real one.
I knew you did old buddy, but I was not sure it was clear to kiltie. It will be interesting to see what the seller says to your comment, I suspect he knows the pedigree.

TankBuster

unclegrumpy said:
a2jacketpatches said:
That's what I meant, a real one.
I knew you did old buddy, but I was not sure it was clear to kiltie. It will be interesting to see what the seller says to your comment, I suspect he knows the pedigree.

Oh for sure he knows the pedigree considering how many of these junk patches he has. I paid around $150 for my real Air Apaches patch about 3 years ago. $150-$200 is the going rate on real ones as of late so spending $100 or more on a repro makes zero sense.