• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battle of Midway Survivor

Stony

This picture is of the sole survivor of VT-8 from the Battle of Midway, Harry Ferrier and myself. It was taken at the Museum of Flight in Seattle on December 12, 2009. For those that are not familiar with Harry's story, here is a link.

http://boatcoach.tripod.com/id109.html

For those that are interested, I am wearing a Pritzer 55J14.

Thank you

Stony

nealedited.jpg

Grant

Stony,
Thanks for posting the Harry's story and the photo. That's really awesome you have the opportunity to meet these guys. What'd Harry think of your 55J14?

Stony

What'd Harry think of your 55J14?

He really didn't say much, only that he still had his WWII jacket at home. I might be going up there soon and will see if he'll let me take some pictures of it.

dujardin

thanks for this post Stony,

i wish you a great day visiting this ''living'' hero and really hoping that he give you permission to take photos of his jacket.
byeeeeee marcel

Grant

In honor of day 1 of the battle of Midway, thought I'd post a pic of an early USN jacket and a rare bird. This 1940 (first contract) Willis and Geiger M422 (with the shorter sleeves) has a beautiful translucent finish to the goatskin (I'm guessing aniline dyed) that my shitty camera doesn't properly capture. Looking over the jacket you can see the USN spared no expense using the finest leather, lining material and mouton.
Also, pretty cool to think this contract or one of the other three M422 contracts were what the AVG wore in China. Yeah, I'm a USN jac geek.

M4222.jpg

Maverickson

Hi All,

Back in 2010 here in VA. Bch I went to a combination symposium & book review for A DAWN LIKE THUNDER https://www.amazon.com/Robert-J.-Mrazek/e/B001HCVVA8?ref_=dbs_p_pbk_r00_abau_000000 . Along with the author, Burt Earnst & Ferrier were also present. I sat next to Ferrier during the entire program. I was fortunate to have been able to speak to all.

For those interested in the true history of Battle of Midway I highly recommend it. That book will open your eyes as to what really happened that caused VT-8 to get separated from their main Air Wing. More often than not always omitted from the otherwise accepted narrative.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Pilot

Thanks to all sharing those great moments of history and personal experiences and stories...
What a difference if compared to all the sh..t faces staring and turmoil occuring in this world right now!
Again, thanks, Honor and Respect to all our Values and those who fought/fight for them.