• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bargain original?

Andrew

This auction finished today, it was very slow to start which made me think it would end in an explosion. Just to satisfy myself I placed a snipe bid at $1100 and left it- just so I could live with myself. I knew it wouldn't work but you just never know (all my spare money's going to Italy ;) ).

Still, the final price seems pretty cheap for a jacket in this size, condition and patched...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Peter Graham

It wasn't well listed which didn't help, neither did the sketchy description. Yup, that was a bargain and looks to be in great shape.

TankBuster

;) ;)
I couldn't let it sit either. The jacket is near mint. The puller needs to be replaced, and that's about it.
Like yourself, I fully expected it to sell for $1700-$2000 considering the condition and size. I was
pretty suprised to actually win it. I'll get some pictures up once it gets here!

Lignemaginot

Without a clear indication of the condition of the leather, I think it's actually a fair price: the lining has an issue, the zipper has an issue. The cuffs don't seem all that bad (at least, the one that is shown). The chance you're really taking is that there is dry-rot that hasn't been noticed/described/photographed. So frankly, if it ends up that the leather is good, then you deserve to eventually sell the thing agian for over $2k because of the chance you['ve taken. Clive's two cents.

TankBuster

Lignemaginot said:
Without a clear indication of the condition of the leather, I think it's actually a fair price: the lining has an issue, the zipper has an issue. The cuffs don't seem all that bad (at least, the one that is shown). The chance you're really taking is that there is dry-rot that hasn't been noticed/described/photographed. So frankly, if it ends up that the leather is good, then you deserve to eventually sell the thing agian for over $2k because of the chance you['ve taken. Clive's two cents.

I had extra pics sent to me 2 days ago. The leather is excellent, the lining has a couple small tears around the neck that were shown (no other issues), the zipper works fine, the Crown puller is just broken. I have a few WWII Crown pulls around. The cuff shown in the listing is the only one with damage. I did my homework before bidding. I would never bid going in blind. I'm still suprised no one else jumped in. But, as mentioned, it was listed poorly, and there was no mention of A-2 or Flight Jacket in the listing. Hopefully it will be here when I get back from my hunting trip on Monday ;) I'll get some better photos up next week.

CBI

Looks like you got a great jacket for an excellent price! I would have placed a bid had I known about it Too much work stuff right now that is getting in the way of jacket fun!

I have stayed away from orginals for years now (I used to own many) but I think I might bite if I see a nice one. ;)

Andrew

Well at least we'll all get a decent look at it now, and it's going to a great home. I was also expecting the $1500 mark at least so well done Jeff. What i liked about this one was that it was pretty obvious that it'd been in the hands of people who have no idea so it's probably unmessed with (now wishing i'd had a real crack at it :evil: ).

TankBuster

You wouldn't of had to bid much more to beat me out. I thought I was going to get beat out for sure. In my mind, I bid a pretty low number considering the size and condition. I actually had forgotten about it. When I got on to check it, there was only 3 minutes left!

Andrew

TankBuster said:
You wouldn't of had to bid much more to beat me out. I thought I was going to get beat out for sure. In my mind, I bid a pretty low number considering the size and condition.
Gee thanks Jeff, feel much better now :lol:

TankBuster said:
I actually had forgotten about it. When I got on to check it, there was only 3 minutes left!
I hate that feeling and know it well.

You know how it goes then, first right of refusal...!

TankBuster

Well, it arrived. It's in real nice shape. Very cool ATC patch! I measured it up for reference:
24.25" Pit to Pit
24.5" Arm
24" Windflap
20" Shoulders

023-6.jpg

022-9.jpg

020-9.jpg

019-10.jpg

018-8.jpg

017-9.jpg

016-9.jpg

014-10.jpg

Peter Graham

Looks fantastic Jeff. Great catch. Are my eyes deceiving me or are the armpit vents way oversized. A field mod for warmer climes perhaps ?

TankBuster

Thanks Peter! Good eyes! I forgot to mention there are 2 extra vents. The standard 2 from the factory, and 2 extra that are larger. I'm sure you are right that it is a field mod. I didn't even notice them until I was photographing it last night.

Roughwear

Very nice Jeff. The goatskin appears to be in great condition. I would have expected slightly longer sleeves on a 46. Does it fit you well?

TankBuster

It does fit me great! I just measured the sleeve again, and I could say it's actually 24.75" from shoulder seam to the end of the knit. A guy could probably really flatten the knits and get it to measure 25+" if he wanted to. I measure all my jackets the same, and 24.75 would probably be more accurate. The 20" shoulders may compensate the arm length a little for me since I usually take 19.5" across the shoulders. The arms aren't short for me at all. Maybe I have shorter arms and don't know it! :lol: Honestly though, there is more sleeve length with this jacket than I have with my size 42 ELC Monarch which I could use a little more length.
Overall, I couldn't be more pleased, and the goatskin is a beautiful carmel brown. With the light patina, it really looks sharp, and the patch is really well done.

TankBuster

I know :lol: A little long after being stuck up in the north woods the last few days chasing the all elusive WhiteTail! :lol:
BTW: I just checked, and I don't have those pulls that I thought I did.