• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B3 zipper and a couple more questions

robrinay

A friend has just acquired two 38" R B3s, one missing a collar a few tears, stiff in places and with a broken zip (tear in male side cloth), the other (Aero Beacon NY), is in better condition - flexible with good fleece etc, except the cuffs are torn and the brown surface of the exterior has been rubbed off in large areas. He was told they belonged to WW2 RAF aircrew.
I have a few questions:
1. Did RAF aircrew wear B 3s?
2. Both are fitted with Dot zippers - is that normal or are they period replacements.
And lastly:
3. When he sells them on eBay which he probably will soon- I'll let you all know - would you advise him to sell them as a pair so that one could be used as spare parts for the other or seperately?
Thanks in anticipation
Rob

Roughwear

Yes sometimes RAF aircrew wore B-3s. They were not AM issued jackets, but acquired through other means, such as swopping.

I have handled many B-3s with replaced Dot and Lightning zips. These were often theatre replacements or post War replacements as many of these USAAF jackets remained in the UK.

I would advise these jackets are sold separately as there is likely to be more interest in a single jacket than two. If someone wants both then they can bid on both jackets.