• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 collar snap question

Enigma1938

Hi there,
Greg's last post in his B3 thread questioning something about the snap buttons on the collar brought a question back to my mind I wanted to throw in quite a while now.
It's the one snap on the wool side of the collar of B3's, the one on the right side just above the collar straps that's of interest to me.
Why was it there, what purpose should it serve?
Why is it not replicated from any repro manufacturer? Seems they leave it out.
2024-01-02-22-05-30-357.jpg

Last edited:

mulceber

I'm not positive what its purpose is. Maybe so that, when you have the collar up, you can snap it closed? I always thought it was a mysterious feature too though.

Regardless, I'm not sure what you mean about most repro manufacturers leaving it out - Aero, ELC and GW all have it. It's just a little less prominent in the photos because the pile on new jackets is thicker.

Enigma1938

....Aero, ELC and GW all have it. It's just a little less prominent in the photos because the pile on new jackets is thicker.
Thanks for the reply. Have not noticed it on the repros but you might be right, it's probably hidden in the fleece mostly

Greg Gale

Interesting detail, I always assumed it was just the top reinforcement of the snap on the underside, but apparently it's another snap. It's missing from my AVI altogether.

Enigma1938

Interesting detail, I always assumed it was just the top reinforcement of the snap on the underside, but apparently it's another snap. It's missing from my AVI altogether.
Well, Morten mentioned on the website that "all the important details are copied". Maybe this snap is not from importance ;)
I'm pretty sure I will add it by myself on my future AVI.

Dumpster D

Easier? Haha!!

Doing up the collar straps on a B-3 is a struggle at best, for me personally. I have to remove gloves, and seriously reef on those buckles to cinch them up while cursing into the gale force winds across the lake on a typical grim and frost bitten January afternoon. By that point I catch myself muttering something like:

"Okay mother nature...you win" Then I go home, and drink tea by the fire.

While imagining what it would have been like, attempting that at high altitude, with an electric suit, strapped in with all the gear.

So far, I haven't found it practical, but it's there nevertheless as a safety precaution if I was ever caught out in some severe cold weather.

Last edited: