• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Australian flite wear jacket and issue L2

dinomartino1

I've posted this pic before but closer inspection revealed a flite wear label plenty of posts here about their NASA and test pilot jackets. L2s were RAAF and fleet air arm issue untill the 1980s, the contracts specified epaulettes as rank sliders where worn, there were probably other
US contractors but all of the ones I have seen were made by concord. Looking at the nurse's service record I think this was probably a PX purchase jacket.
Flying jacket worn by Section Officer Patricia Ann Furbank during the Vietnam War and throughout her subsequent service. In March 1970 she was attached to the United States Air Force, Furbank’s first Medevac was to collect wounded from Vung Tau on 12 January 1970 in a Hercules. In all Furbank carried out 84 AME trips with the RAAF in Australia and overseas, most taking place during the Vietnam War. In March 1970 she was attached to the United States Air Force Aeromedical Evacuation Group, Clark Air Base in the Philippines. Her main role there was to evacuate wounded from Vietnam to Clark AB. On her days off she volunteered to work in the hospital as assistant nurse of the day or nurse of the night, monitoring wounded patients in Vietnam, writing up manifests for the next day’s flight and ordering special equipment and drugs. The latter she found challenging as the Americans used different drug names to the Australians. The Americans used C130 Hercules and C141 Starlifters to evacuate wounded. On a Hercules stretcher patients could be placed five deep allowing up to 74 stretcher patients to be carried per flight. During her time attached to the USAF she flew trips to the Philippines, Japan, Korea, Washington and Alaska.

4233214.JPG

3831680.JPG

RAAF concord issue jacket