• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Own a Buzz/Gibson MA-1?

Cobblers161

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at taking the plunge on the Regular shaped Buzz/Gibson black MA-1 and wondered how the sizing goes.

I've sized down on an L2 and stayed at usual sized for a B-15C so interested to hear and experiences before I commit.

Cheers,
Steve

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cobblers161 said:
I've sized down on an L2 and stayed at usual sized for a B-15C so interested to hear and experiences before I commit.

I haven't owned the black one, but it's based on the Buzz Lion Uniform MA-1, and apart from the colour it's identical. I would stay with your usual size, as you did for the B-15C. I used to own a Medium (38), and decided I would need a Large (40) ... yet my 38 L-2 fits fine.

Incidentally, if you sized down on the L-2, it was probably the American Pad & Textile/house version ... the Buzz Reed Products L-2 is a trimmer fit.

http://www.historypreservation.com/hpas ... uniqnum=59

Cobblers161

Yeh it was the American Pad & Textile number. I sold it last year and damn wish I'd held onto it. Was the Reed version a slightly darker olive, kinda brownish. Maybe it was just the images!

I've fancied a WG MA-1 for some time, the problem is there are at least 3 different versions and I was guessing these were fashion rather than contract orientated. I think it's fair to say that it'll be the Regular 11180 model which is based on the Lion contract. Thanks for the info Deeb! Helpful as ever.

dadgad

I have a BR WG black MA-1 in size large purchased in Tokyo and it's perfect on me with the perfect room for a layer underneath such as a merino or similar. I am a pure 42.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Cobblers161 said:
... I think it's fair to say that it'll be the Regular 11180 model which is based on the Lion contract.

I figured that's the one you'd go for ... unless you have Gibson's height, the long version just looks odd.

Buzz+Rickson+x+William+Gibson+Black+MA-1.jpg

asiamiles

MA-1's are too short for me, so one would guess that would mean the Long would be much better...possibly I could size down in a Long. But I tried on a 36L in the L-2 and it was too tight. And the 38L in the Tanker didn't look right...as if the style needed to be short. So I'm not sure. With the MA-1 there is also a Slender version and a Slender Long, making a total of 4 choices in each size

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
And the 38L in the Tanker didn't look right...as if the style needed to be short. So I'm not sure.

I think that sums it up .... whilst the idea of the extra length is appealing, if you change one measurement on a classic design, you throw out the whole look.

bretron

I got a BR x WG MA1 in a 38L. Sizing is: shoulder: 46cm, pit to pit: 58cm, sleeve length: 65cm, length: 69cm. Perfect fit in shoulders, chest and arms; length is maybe ½” longer than need be, and the armholes are a bit smaller than I generally would like. But, I’m just starting to break it in, and figure after this winter some of the wool fill will settle, and the jacket will loosen up.

My take on this jacket is its cut long so you can size down and achieve a slimmer look. They do make it in a regular cut, but for dudes with longer torsos such as me, the Buzz Longs are a dream come true.

Not sure if mine is a slender long or a long, though?

DSC_7792.jpg

Now, if only they made a B15B or C mod in a long, I'd be all over that ass

@Miles, can you make that happen for a brotha? :p

Tim P

no need to size down, they are not a form fitting jacket anyhow. I had a sage lion XXL and could have had an XL depite the xxl being fine..

asiamiles

bretron said:
I got a BR x WG MA1 in a 38L. Sizing is: shoulder: 46cm, pit to pit: 58cm, sleeve length: 65cm, length: 69cm. Perfect fit in shoulders, chest and arms; length is maybe ½” longer than need be, and the armholes are a bit smaller than I generally would like. But, I’m just starting to break it in, and figure after this winter some of the wool fill will settle, and the jacket will loosen up.

My take on this jacket is its cut long so you can size down and achieve a slimmer look. They do make it in a regular cut, but for dudes with longer torsos such as me, the Buzz Longs are a dream come true.

Not sure if mine is a slender long or a long, though?

DSC_7792.jpg

That's actually not a William Gibson but one of the black MA-1's done for Buzz's 10th Anniversary...that would have been in 2003, I think. I would guess the WG's were exactly the same apart from the label. It's not a slender as these were only introduced last year.