• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Watch Experts Here

watchmanjimg

I'm not sure I'd call myself an "expert" but I am an enthusiast. My understanding is that these 24-hour movements just happen to fit into certain wristwatch cases like that of the A-11, but most were sourced from (I believe) post-WW2 gun cameras and similar equipment. The few if any original watches with 24-hour movements are not A-11s. Thus, this appears to be what is called in certain circles a "Frankenwatch" and in my opinion is being grossly misrepresented by the seller.

Clark J

Jim is correct!Should be a 647 or a 685 (post WW2)movement if I remember correctly,,,which means I'm probably wrong but that's what I'm going with!!Cool looking but never made.

unclegrumpy

Are you guys sure about this?

Watches are not an area I feel that knowledgeable about, but seeing this caused me to dig into my watch box. I've got one of these that I have had for a very long time, but can't remember now where it came from. It is a 24 hour Elgin exactly the same as the one on eBay, except the ordnance number is W33-038ac-6600.

Given I have never thought much about this one, I am not too worried either way, but it would be really neat for me if you guys were wrong. :D

watchmanjimg

unclegrumpy said:
Are you guys sure about this?

Watches are not an area I feel that knowledgeable about, but seeing this caused me to dig into my watch box. I've got one of these that I have had for a very long time, but can't remember now where it came from. It is a 24 hour Elgin exactly the same as the one on eBay, except the ordnance number is W33-038ac-6600.

Given I have never thought much about this one, I am not too worried either way, but it would be really neat for me if you guys were wrong. :D

They're nice little watches but most were modified as stated above, apparently in good numbers. I'd simply enjoy it as you have been. :D

Clark J

Was on a Yahoo watch forum in 04 and remember that I printed some Elgin movement/serial # info and from what I see there where no "true" 24 hr movements made in WW2,these weren't made until '51 all with ser #s F-XXXXX and these were 647 movements.That being said there is a note that a 685 "true" 24 hr movement (ser I-2554) was made in "55 that is listed as "Black "true" 24 hr dial in a 1945 3 pieced screw case".?? SO???? Who knows?

watchmanjimg

Clark J said:
Was on a Yahoo watch forum in 04 and remember that I printed some Elgin movement/serial # info and from what I see there where no "true" 24 hr movements made in WW2,these weren't made until '51 all with ser #s F-XXXXX and these were 647 movements.That being said there is a note that a 685 "true" 24 hr movement (ser I-2554) was made in "55 that is listed as "Black "true" 24 hr dial in a 1945 3 pieced screw case".?? SO???? Who knows?

There's a claim of an "A-12" produced in limited numbers with the 24h movement but the one here and all others I've seen were put together from instrument watches. Here's an example of a civilian model using a military-style case and fitted with a military case back with A-17A inscription in lieu of the original plain back. Although this watch came from the factory with the 24h movement, the seller can't resist the urge to engage in a bit of hyperbole in the listing . . . :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Mens-Korea ... 1135200502

unclegrumpy

watchmanjimg said:
They're nice little watches but most were modified as stated above, apparently in good numbers. I'd simply enjoy it as you have been. :D
Sounds like I was "enjoying it" in a most proper fashion....buried at the bottom of a box! :D

Too bad, I was really hoping I had won the lotto :lol:

TankBuster

Clark J said:
Jim is correct!Should be a 647 or a 685 (post WW2)movement if I remember correctly,,,which means I'm probably wrong but that's what I'm going with!!Cool looking but never made.

That's what I thought too Clarky. Kind of thought Franken Watch when I first looked at it. Looks cool, but how the heck did he come up with that price!?!?! I have lots of A-11's I will sell for half that! haha