• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another price rise for ELC

Pete17

Just noticed that Eastman have had a price rise. The 352nd Monarch I recently bought is now 50£ dearer!

It's getting harder and harder to justify outlaying so much for this passion of ours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cobblers161

This price rise is echoing many other rises across the board, food, fuel etc...

What always wrankles with me is that when the pound is doing exceptionally well then the cost of goods never decrease but as soon as the pound dips then up the prices go. You can bet your bottom dollar ;-) that should the £ recover then prices everywhere will not fall.

The one exception to this is HPA in the US who are reflecting the stronger $ and reducing prices accordingly.

I'm tired of the greed coupled with the fact that the punter almost always bears the brunt.

Pete17

I agree mate. I purchased my first ELC jacket, a RW1401, back in 2007 and it cost me 420£. Somewhere in between they doubled in price overnight and now they're creeping up again.

We need more competition at the top end .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roughwear

Sadly a consequence of the very unfortunate vote to leave the EU. £824.99 is now the price for most of the original maker A2s.

Cobblers161

Do you expect the price will drop if the pound recovers or are there other market forces at work?

I'm a bit of a coffee snob and order my beans from a place in Lincoln, everything there has had 50p upwards added to 100g of coffee and tea. I understand it may be hard when profits drop because you import goods to sell but it's an imbalance of fairness to expect Joe Public to pick up the extra cost each time, especially as the prices will not revert to norm should our economy miraculously recover.

If I could get my hands on the Brexiteers I'd ship them all over to Isle of Wight, scuttle the ferries and let them have their bloody isolation.

Roughwear

Well said Steve. In the long term the pound may recover, but at the moment the effects of a weak pound caused by Brexit will be felt by everyone in the UK. Importing jackets from outside the UK is now a non starter for me. I really can't see jacket prices dropping.

Cobblers161

There's a feint glimmer of hope buying from Japan as the pound is improving against the yen but yes, you're right, EU and USA purchases are just not going to happen.

I cannot forsee an improvement against the $ and €, we are facing a hard time not only with luxury items (It may be possible to call jackets necessities however I feel my wife would strongly disagree) but also the every day purchases as mentioned above. Added to which a cheap weekend in France now becomes considerably more costly.

Had the Leave voters forgotten the crash in 2008? What were those bigots thinking?

devilish

Short answer to that is "They weren't". They were to lazy to do any real thinking or homework and were lead like lambs to the slaughter. Sad thing is ignorance and laziness is all to prevelant in the 1st World these days. Just look at the fact that Trump has even got to within sniffing distance of the White House. Or indeed our own darling Brexiteers.
Hey, maybe if Trump does win then the $ might go down the crapper too and we will be able to buy U.S. goods again? In the long run the West is doomed anyway. China and Isis are going to carve up the World between them. I guess we had a pretty good run there for awhile though? End of rant! Haha!

CBI

The price for most everything is going up. I agree 100000% that premium jacket prices are going through the roof. We are not the “normal” jacket customers. Forum members have purchased many jackets over the years. The days of owning many premium jackets are soon to be over.

High-end and low-end are what sells in the retail world today. Little room for profitable mid-range items. Just look at global sales of anything. I’ll bet ELC, Good Wear and Aero could charge $2,000 for their A-2’s and they would still be super busy. Quality supplies for these jackets have also gone way up.

These are marketed for the semi-sane buyer who is comfortable/almost comfortable shelling out a lot of cash for the ONE super awesome jacket. These prices for one-time buys still seem to work pretty well and IMO could stand to go higher. I hope they don't!!!!!

Total bummer for us jacket nuts.

colekwok

The price for most everything is going up. I agree 100000% that premium jacket prices are going through the roof. We are not the “normal” jacket customers. Forum members have purchased many jackets over the years. The days of owning many premium jackets are soon to be over.

High-end and low-end are what sells in the retail world today. Little room for profitable mid-range items. Just look at global sales of anything. I’ll bet ELC, Good Wear and Aero could charge $2,000 for their A-2’s and they would still be super busy. Quality supplies for these jackets have also gone way up.

These are marketed for the semi-sane buyer who is comfortable/almost comfortable shelling out a lot of cash for the ONE super awesome jacket. These prices for one-time buys still seem to work pretty well and IMO could stand to go higher. I hope they don't!!!!!

Total bummer for us jacket nuts.

It is very true, sadly. Everybody is doing a Unilever these days. I also wonder why Mark Carney is still in charge of BoE, I do not understand the logic behind their interest rate gauging, inflation drops, decrease the interest rate, inflation rises, decrease the interest rate more! No wonder the pound is so weak these days. BBC just reported that we are going to see a 4% inflation soon.

johnwayne

Let's not make this site a soapbox for our political viewpoints - Brexit happened so stop moaning and get on with it! Modern business is all profit driven and prices will only fall if the buyers don't buy, end of. I questioned recently here about what the actual cost of say a £1k jacket - I suggest no where near 50% of sale price - not uncommon in the fashion business to mark up 100%. Sadly the consumer is always the mug who gets clobbered when quite often higher costs could be absorbed - energy costs being an example. Anyway, I won't be buying a new repro ever again - that's my choice even if I was awash with the funds to do so!!
Cheers Wayne

CBI

I do know that JC at Good Wear makes an OK living but nothing stellar. There are very high supply costs involved and sometimes large quantities of supply (leather, etc.) needs to be purchased at a time for suppliers to sell. It's still a cottage operation, the big payoff being it's a rewarding and creative line of work. I would assume the other premium leather manufacturers have to deal with various facets of this. FWIW, I hope my post(s) have not been taken as political in any way, not my intention.

johnwayne

I think you may be right CBI in JC's case - he really is a 'cottage industry' and I for one wouldn't bemoan him good profit but a £50 price hike for an ELC is well steep. But as I say, we all have choice, much like we did for voting out of Europe although on that I'll say no more for fear that Cobblers will come swinging my way! I guess we live in age whereby money is more accessible and all the while people will pay the price then good luck to the makers but surely there will come a plateau? Or maybe not! Thankfully I'm all jacketed out now albeit that won't stop me scouring wherever, whenever for maybe just one more A2 - just not new!!
Cheers
Wayne

colekwok

Eastman are very reasonable when compared to Real McCoys (Japan)
The price of a B3 in their London shop.. ??

2995 GBP

I wonder who would pay £2995 for a RM B-3 when they could buy three for the same money from ELC!

There will always be some Japanese produce worshippers, especially in Asia. There is this myth of better Asian fit of these Japanese premium brands, it may well be true for certain kinds of jackets. The other thing is that, some think that the resale value is far better with the Japanese brands than any other makers. But in real world, they are just playing with the figures. Let's say you lose 50% of a ELC B-3, which is 500quids and but in with the RM B-3, even if you can recoup 70%, that 30% still equates to almost 900 quids. It is just psychological. Retrospectively, we are feeling the ELC price hike is down to their much lower prices just a few years back. RM jackets have always been that expensive anyway, but that is pretty much the same logic, and everything is relative.

Roughwear

I was actually thinking more of people living in the UK buying over-priced RM sheepskin jackets in London.