• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An original B-1!!!

asiamiles

You don't see one of these every day! Mouton perhaps needs replacing, as does the main zipper (a Conmar would presumably not be original to the jacket anyway) which is broken, and 2 pockets have been added at some point...I guess these could be removed? The photos aren't good enough to reveal any stitches where the original pocket should have been. Seller says it's a 38 but measurements seem more like a 36 to me.

origb1.jpg

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Wow !!

Let us know what it makes, Miles.

What would you estimate it's value to be, or should I say, what would be a sensible price to pay considering the condition? Problem is, even if it fitted (measurements are given as 50cm chest, 44cm shoulders and 57 cm length, compared to my Buzz B-2 which measures 53/45/59) one would be looking a fairly expensive restoration job by someone like Aero Leather...to whom it it would have to be shipped and then returned. Seller does say the leather is fine and that it's a wearer, so I guess it has definite possibilities.

I just realised those pockets are slash ones not B-3 type patch ones.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
What would you estimate it's value to be ...

I have no idea of the value, Miles ... so few of these early jackets have been sold. I think if I were buying it, I'd just want to preserve it 'as is', and park it on the mannequin by the dehumidifier.

From the measurements, it does sound like a 36 so maybe too small for you, and perhaps one of the repro makers will spot it. Yes, the pockets look "slash" alright .... maybe they would just have to stay.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I have no idea of the value, Miles ... so few of these early jackets have been sold. I think if I were buying it, I'd just want to preserve it 'as is', and park it on the mannequin by the dehumidifier.

From the measurements, it does sound like a 36 so maybe too small for you, and perhaps one of the repro makers will spot it. Yes, the pockets look "slash" alright .... maybe they would just have to stay.
Yes, no way to reverse the process; do you think they're likely a wartime modification? And when would the paint on the back date from?

I think I'll probably refrain from bidding. If it were $500 then it would be worth a gamble. My guess is it will remain unsold, but who knows.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Yes, no way to reverse the process; do you think they're likely a wartime modification? And when would the paint on the back date from?

I assume that the pockets are a post war, civilian mod, but there's no way to tell. The stencilled lettering looks early, but again, it could have been added at any time.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
As expected, didn't sell and automatically relisted.

So there's a high opening bid, or reserve?

I don't know what happened to the one on the other thread ... perhaps Dr_H has quietly scurried off with it. ;)

Dr H

Not guilty Your Honour ;)

Still awaiting responses to two P.M.s re. images/sizes...

Scurrying...at my time of life? That's a young man's game...scurrying... ;)

asiamiles

Thanks for that, John. In case anyone wonders why this pic is here, it's because I asked in a PM to see a pocket on an original.

zoomer

Pocket is high up enough that a chute harness would make it useless.

Note the netting-like pattern on the glove - what I can see of the caption reads heated gloves.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
There's probably a large box of pocket flaps somewhere.

In countries like Uzbakistan, Khazikistan, and Tajikistan, they are considered a great delicacy.