• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AN-J-3 auction

Nabodie

No time like now for a first post I guess. While I was browsing about the bay this afternoon I cam upon an interesting auction. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261318463536?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648 Looks like a really nice jacket, and from the measurements given I believe it will fit me. I am planning on bidding on this but was wondering if any of you gents. see anything wrong with it? I am fairly new to this addiction and thought I'd ask your opinions before I jump in on this.

Peter Graham

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm far from being an expert on these jackets but it looks like a particularly fine example of an AN-J-3 to me. It's definitely an original jacket and not a repro. That's for sure. Good luck with it.

Dr H

Welcome.
Be prepared to bid strongly though.
It's a particularly good example of one of the rarest contracts in a larger size.

Nabodie

Thanks Guys, These are beautiful jackets combining the best of both the A2 and the G1, shame they weren't adopted for the services.

Dr H

Dig deep, my last AN-J-3 (a ropier example of the same, or a similar, contract) made £600+

Nice jacket! Now I am a little confused. In the Ebay listing, Chapman is quoted as saying that these jackets..or at least the Navy-preferred design variants.. did not have an "AN" label fitted..but here is another forum post of a determined-authentic ANJ-3 with an AN label fitted. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15826

Is is all just poor reading comprehension on my part? Or..since this jacket design was never officially adopted is every example essentially a mockup?

TIA for any guidance from the Wise Ones.

Dr H

Never seen an official AN-J-3 label (they were all removed before being sold on or retailed).
That example is an AN-J-3A (the A is all important) - with a mouton collar. The collar of the AN-J-3 was a naked as a Jay bird as the Americans say in the movies...

Dr H said:
Never seen an official AN-J-3 label (they were all removed before being sold on or retailed).
That example is an AN-J-3A (the A is all important) - with a mouton collar. The collar of the AN-J-3 was a naked as a Jay bird as the Americans say in the movies...

Thanks. But..I am under the impression that no jacket of an AN-J* designation was ever officially adopted and that the variants, (plain collar, epaulets, vs. mouton collar, no epaulets) were just different mocked-up versions presented to the services to see which one might be preferred for adoption(?) Is this thinking just flat-out wrong? Did the Navy in fact adopt an ANJ-3-A design?

Dr H

The AN-J-3 wasn't adopted - the navy went for the AN-J-3A; the army went for the B-10.

Roughwear

The AN-J-3A was designed to replace the USAAF A2 and the naval M422A flying jackets. As Ian says the B-10 and later the B-15 replaced the A2 in the USAAF. However 16 AN-J-3A contracts were awarded and they all have US navy contract numbers from 1944 to 1947. The AN-J-3 was never officially adopted by either service.

fishmeok

When was the L-2 first made? I always thought that was the more direct replacement for the A-2, but did the B-10 come out first?

Cheers
Mark

Dr H

Yes, I tried a bit myself - thought that it would have been set a little lower.

foster

If it were longer and would have fit me, I'd have bid on it myself. I've been waiting 8 or 9 months for a replica to be made just like the one in the listing. I even sent them links to this listing to confirm the design, which was hopefully helpful, though I've not heard back. I am guessing it is more complicated/ confusing to make than other designs, due to the sparsity of originals and the variation within the existing ones.

Peter Graham

Nabodie said:
Well, I made the high bidder mark! But we didn't get to the reserve price. :(
It always mystifies me why sellers put reserves on items. It's just wasting peoples time. Why not just set the start bid at the lowest price you would be prepared to part with the thing for ? :?

Stony

The seller lives less than 30 minutes from me. He used to be member, but I haven't seen him post lately.