• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing ANJ3A with Kor War patch named to USMC Major General

bazelot

Named to Major General Carson A Roberts USMC. Jacket is in outstanding condition and everything is original. It is one of my favorite jackets.

This is the jacket he used in Korea when he was a Colonel (the patch was only used there) and I assume the nametag was replaced when he was promoted to Major General in 1957.

He received the DFC in Korea when he flew missions there as a Colonel:

https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivisio ... ts_ca.aspx

"Ordered to Korea in May 1951, Colonel Roberts saw action there until March 1952, serving successfully as Deputy Chief of Staff, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing; Commander, Marine Aircraft Group 33; and Chief of Staff, 1st Wing. He was awarded the Legion of Merit with Combat "V" for outstanding service as group commander, and the Distinguished Flying Cross for heroism in that capacity on 10 November 1951 while leading a close air support strike near Sohui-ri. In May 1952, he became Chief of Staff, Aircraft, Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic, at Norfolk, Virginia."

His Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Abel_Roberts

Maverickson

Re: Amazing ANJ3A with Kor War patch named to USMC Major Gen

Hi Tom,

Your fine IDed jacket with that patch definitely makes this particular ANJ3A rare and unique. Another great example of what makes me enjoy collecting these USN style jackets!

Thank you for sharing it with us :)

Cheers, Dave

CBI

Looks excellent - love the patina and history!

Silver Surfer

jello........................................seriously kickass.

bebel

An USMC named AN-J-3A with a so particular Korean war patch is certainly a very rare find! Amazing.

Franck

bazelot

Yes the patch is indeed interesting. It shows a pilot driving a desk but this unit actually saw its fair share of action in Korea.

dujardin

great jacket, great patch

.... great catch

Bombing IP

Love the jacket ,I bet it is comfortable .I used to have a Vietnam era G1 it was made by Foster it was cowhide with simulated grain of goat and fake mouton collar . Most uncomfortable jacket I ever owned looked good on a hanger but felt like a straight jacket on . The Name patch read Edson D Newman USN bought it from Ken in Battersea London ( or south Chelsea in Yuppies) before he started Aero Leathers in Scotland . Wow that was a few years ago !

Jeff

chamboid

Funny jacket this, not a lot of them around, odd shape to the,, really slim waist and wide shoulders, essentially the exact same jacket as the 55J14 by the same maker.

Lovely piece thought, Nice find

Roughwear

Great jacket Tom. I'll have several patches like this as I guess some of the guys who owned some of my jacket flew a desk much of the time! ;)