• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aircraft Boneyrd

jack aranda

Thank you! I've wanted to visit the 'boneyard' for years. I never seem to find time when it is cool enough to enjoy the trek into the desert. These pics are great!

sgbailey2002

The nearby Pima Air Museum is worth a visit as well, not only for the large collection of aircraft, but for the more than 20 painted A-2's on display.

SGB

Willy McCoy

I really liked the Indian orange paint they applied to the stratojet in the third picture. The SR-71 silhouettes and the Systems Command zap on the nose. I found an original Systems Command zap just like that one on eBay and put it on the hood of my daily driver. There is another boneyard in Grey Bull Wyoming that still has a lot of these airframes. I find it odd that an American citizen cannot purchase surplus aircraft we paid for. Hell, I can't even get manufacturers contract information from Wright Patterson Aero-Medical Lab on nylon flight jackets that have been obsolete for over 50 years. I think they forget who signs their paychecks.

Willy McCoy

53-4256_B-47_Day-Glo_09091968_crop_1280a.jpg

This is a verry cool close up of the Stratojet.

fraazierjo

Been there a couple of times. The collection of A2's, B3's and flight gear rivals the Air Force Museum in Ohio. I wanted to take them home with me!

sgbailey2002

Silver Dollar said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: That's got to be one heck of a collection. Do they have pictures of them on the internet? I'd love to see them.

I have photos of most all the painted A-2's, and have 12 of the best posted in the photo section at the 20th Century forum. There are some real nice A-2's at the Pima Air Museum.

SGB

MikeyB-17

That's a fantastic site-what drives me nuts is that all this was there to see years ago, and now it's all gone. Would have killed to have been able to do what those guys did. I love this stuff, I have a couple of books about the desert boneyards, and even now I'd love to go to one of them, even though you only get a bus tour these days. I've spent a fair amount of time on Google maps and Live Local looking at these places, and the Pima Air Museum-you can 'drive' along all the adjacent roads in Google.

rich

Mike, can you recommend a book on boneyards? The Best Years of Our Lives is as close as I've ever got...........

Andrew

I totally agree with you Mikey, if only.

Not a boneyard tale as such but I clearly remember as a kid sized passenger, must have been the late sixties we often passed by a car junkyard in Melbourne that had visible from the road a DC-3 and a Mustang amongst the car wrecks.

bfrench

Administrator
sgbailey2002 said:
Silver Dollar said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: That's got to be one heck of a collection. Do they have pictures of them on the internet? I'd love to see them.

I have photos of most all the painted A-2's, and have 12 of the best posted in the photo section at the 20th Century forum. There are some real nice A-2's at the Pima Air Museum.

SGB

Hi, SGB,

What's the url for the 20th?

Bill French

sgbailey2002

bfrench said:
sgbailey2002 said:
Silver Dollar said:

SGB

Hi, SGB,

What's the url for the 20th?

Bill French

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheClassic20th/

In a photo folder titled "Original A-2 Art".

Skip

MikeyB-17

rich said:
Mike, can you recommend a book on boneyards? The Best Years of Our Lives is as close as I've ever got...........

The best one I have is '50 Years of the Desert Boneyard' by Philip D. Chinnery. I have a couple of others, just thin paperback jobs, which I can't put my hand on right now, but the Chinnery one is the best I have. There may be better ones out there.