• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AI Flight Jacket Squadron patches etc

fleet16b

Now that I have decided on and contracted the making of a
Sqn Patch for my A2 ( see thread "34th Bomber Sqn - Doolittle Raiders")
I am contemplating doing the same for my A1.
There are some pics of A1 jackets with patches but I cant really see any details that would help me to choose one
Hoping that some of the members and patch makers can post pics (on this thread) of period sqn patches that would have been on A1's at the time the Air Corps was wearing them.

Thanks

a2jacketpatches

fleet16b said:
Now that I have decided on and contracted the making of a
Sqn Patch for my A2 ( see thread "34th Bomber Sqn - Doolittle Raiders")
I am contemplating doing the same for my A1.
There are some pics of A1 jackets with patches but I cant really see any details that would help me to choose one
Hoping that some of the members and patch makers can post pics (on this thread) of period sqn patches that would have been on A1's at the time the Air Corps was wearing them.

Thanks

Once I catch up on a bunch of orders, I've got a wool A1 that I plan to apply one of the following WW1 units. It'll be done in either embroidery on wool, or pieced felt, possible combination of both methods. These are just the images and I don't have actual reference of jacket patches, but if it was done, these methods are typical of the period. At any rate, I would only feel comfortable putting a cloth patch on an A1, wool or leather version.
93_zpsd1b4e5cb.jpg

WWI-300x235_zps2c563e48.jpg

zoomer

Here's a rarity - 12th Observation Sqdn., hand embroidered on one of the few surviving original A-1s. The squadron served in WW1 (as 12th Aero) and WW2 (as 12th Recon).

The 12th did not usually use a star. This may have been a CO's insignia or something similar.
8371160676_4e89c7bf47_c.jpg

AFG-080721-013.jpg

Modern "heritage patch" by Flight Line Insignia.
11861.jpg

zoomer

95th Aero/Pursuit/Attack/Bomb/Recon Sq.:
95th-bombardment-squadron-17th-bombardment-group-5-22eb.jpg

AFG-091007-015.jpg

31st Bomb Sq. in the 1930s:
31st_bombSquadron.jpg

before and after that:
19710411000.JPG

11th Bomb Sq.:
19710498000.JPG

77th Pursuit Sq.: (appeared without the disc on A-1s)
10858.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Very cool, thanks for the pics and the link. I'll be making the site a favorite and adding to my files, can't say I ever ran across this one.

a2jacketpatches

Based on the "Balloon Busters" 27th Aero Squadron of WW1, the original insignia was a falcon with talons spread for an attack. These two are post WW1, but would love to see the original design.

imagesCARSMKU5_zps3ac1a0d2.jpg

imagesCA47LV19_zps7c42370a.jpg

AhHa! Found one. Anything better out there?

c
Boeing-P-12E-32-46_zpsb32065e4.jpg

fleet16b

WOW
Some realy great examples here
Still lookng for the one that will catch my eye
Leaning towards a post WW 1 Pursuit Sqn but I sure do like that 31st Bomber Sqn crest

Keep'em coming ............

EMBLEMHUNTER

You need to get over to Wright Patterson and see the big emblem board that has quite a few WW1 aero Squadron emblems on it, I saw it some years ago and there were a good amount of really cool ones there , I'm sure you'd enjoy seeing them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made a couple of leather ones of the 213th Aero Squadron awhile back .
Johnny