• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero's at GW

CBI

these look very nice except for the contrasting stitching. I wish that was/would be reconsidered.

Great that John is able to offer some off-the-shelf jackets. I'll bet most will wait for the awesome stuff!!!!

CBI

I don't mind contrasting thread but it really jumps out on the seal, works better on the russet, with the seal, a darker tan or light brown as a thread option.

pawine

This is the same new Italian horsehide that Thurston/Aero is offering now. (According to them, sourced jointly with GW) Customers have just started receiving jackets in the past month here in the USA from Thurston. It's very grainy and the grain pops even more during its short breaking in period. Very soft for its weight. I think these jackets will prove very popular.

2BM2K

The thread colour stands out probably because the thread has not been impressed/indented into the leather as on original jackets.

interbak

2BM2K said:
The thread colour stands out probably because the thread has not been impressed/indented into the leather as on original jackets.

That's very possible. I'm wearing my dark seal GW ACME (Aero), with OD stitching right now and the stitching doesn't show as prominently as it appears in the Aero photos. Could also be the lighting, John is the master at photographing jackets, but something just don't always photograph as well as others. I'd have to see it in person and do a side by side comparison.

B

ButteMT61

I've got a GW Ventura in dark seal Shinki HH with contrast stitching. It is way more obvious in pics than in "real life".
Not everyone likes it, but I'd say that most do. I wanted a vintage look, and to me, it helps on this model at least.

2BM2K

An oblique-angle close-up photo of the stitching (windflap or pocket) should show how the stitches are done.

coanda

Dr H said:
My initial response is that whilst it's good to see the collaboration, the Aero 'GW' lacks a little something in comparison with the GW Aeros that are advertised elsewhere on the site.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sa ... _0002.html

I have to say I agree with Ian,
Also I may be missing something but is this

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=101

not basically or even exactly the same jacket??
Personally I would gladly pay the price of a "GW", John's quality is unsurpassed. I am not sure this really qualifies as a "GW"?
Only my thoughts.
Rick

Dr H

Dr H said:
My initial response is that whilst it's good to see the collaboration, the Aero 'GW' lacks a little something in comparison with the GW Aeros that are advertised elsewhere on the site.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/sa ... _0002.html

On John's website, it states clearly, 'We are pleased to announce that we are a re-seller of Aero/Scotland Type A-2 jackets. Aero (my italics) has built new patterns of their iconic 18775 A-2 jackets, and acquired a new format of horsehide from Italy. We plan on stocking a typical size range of these jackets in both seal and russet brown, and the parts are the same as our own hardware and zippers.

On FL, one question posed was 'Nice jacket, so this jacket is made by Aero and sold by GW??', to which Sloan (who has a good relationship with Aero and would be able to ask Ken directly) replied, 'Short answer: Yes. Long one is that they are made to John's spec, stitch size etc, will have a GW label in them etc. I think the pattern is pretty much the same as Aero's own.'

I don't plan to buy one, preferring to buy GW, so it's purely academic from my perspective, but the price point/wait time is perhaps the deciding factor if you're in the market for one.

Steve H

So a shelf item then? Might work well for those not willing to wait, the now generation!

Im not a fan of light stitching on seal either.

Roughwear

FlyingYankee said:
I like the contrasting thread also,Were the originals like that?

I have seen brown and olive drab cotton used on original Aeros, but never this light thread. You do see it used on some original Dubow A2s though.

CBI

OK, if you have seen this much of a contrast with originals that I have to modify my opening comment (that probably started the "I like" or "I don't like" contrasting stitching). It just didn't look like any original A-2's I had ever seen. I based this on photos from the period. I figure after 65-70 years, few originals would look this way.