• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero repair - hope this one lasts!

markc

At last - my jacket is on its way back from Aero, having been with them since the end of August last year (4.5 months!).

This is the fourth time since I bought it (May 2007) that it has been back for lining work.

I (unfortunately) purchased it with Alpaca wool lining which wore through after about 12 months so I sent it back for a reline - this time with cotton drill. This lasted about 18 months before wearing through and was sent back (again) to be reinforced with corduroy.

The corduroy wore through last year (after another 18 months) and I sent it back (AGAIN!!!) to be relined and the lining reinforced with leather where it was rubbing. We'll see in a few days what sort of job they have made of it.

During this same period I have had the waist and cuff knits replaced three times as well (belt sees to the waistband and watch does in the cuffs)

It's costing me a fortune! £142 this time and (I seem to recall) £100, £80 and £50 for the previous returns plus postage to Scotland on top (RMSD at £15 - £20 a time). I bought the jacket in the hope that I wouldn't have to keep doing this sort of thing but I've now paid for it twice.

I've always been hard on jackets and said so to Will at the time I bought it.

Sorry for being such a grumpy guts but I'm a mite peeved at the moment.

Does anyone else have this problem with their jackets?

Cheers,

dmar836

Not that much trouble but...........
BTW, without pics, this story just isn't plausible. Pics please!
Dave

markc

dmar836 said:
Not that much trouble but...........
BTW, without pics, this story just isn't plausible. Pics please!
Dave

Not got pics of the more recent rips plus I misremembered the timeline - I bought the jacket in May 2007 and the first lining had worn through by August the same year!

Jacket as bought:

PICT5970.jpg

PICT5972.jpg

Jacket after 1 week:

PICT5983.jpg

PICT5981.jpg

Jacket after 3 months:

PICT6106.jpg

PICT6108.jpg

PICT6109.jpg

Jacket after 12 months:

PICT6420.jpg

PICT6416.jpg

PICT6413.jpg

I didn't take photos after this but I assure you that I had the linings replaced as stated.

I'll post pics of the latest repair when it returns.

Cheers,

dmar836

Please do. I'm interested in how that thick HH reacts as you obviously wear it a lot! The right way to break them in.
Most of the Aeros I've seen are rather thick.

ButteMT61

I've got a similar Aero 50's HBD in Oil-Pull FQHH. It's thick, and fantastic. I'll post pics - it wears wonderfully. No issues with any Aero liners so I have to wonder what the heck you're doing in those jackets? :lol:

Dr H

Difficult to gauge, but that wear looks to be near the waistband?
It resembles wear that was developing on my GW Doniger shortly before I sold it on (slightly too small).
A different lining material of course, but I think that mine was due to wear against a belt or perhaps even a rivet from Levis, reinforcing the pocket on my jeans.

MikeyB-17

I wonder if it's got anything to do with it being FQHH as opposed to a thinner, softer leather? The FQHH would be a denser, less forgiving material to rub up against, thus causing more premature wear. Possibly also the style of jacket, with a gathered waist as opposed to a longer style which just hangs, presenting more protrusions in the leather to create wear points in the lining. I dunno. I'm more concerned with the length of time Aero take to do these jobs-OK, they do it well, and I know they're busy, but next time I need a repair job done I'm going to try and find somewhere else to do it.

Peter Graham

MikeyB-17 said:
I'm more concerned with the length of time Aero take to do these jobs-OK, they do it well, and I know they're busy, but next time I need a repair job done I'm going to try and find somewhere else to do it.
Do. I've given up on Aero for that very reason and I've found a great local tailor that is every bit as good, ten times as quick and very much cheaper.

Dr H

They are no longer taking in repairs/alterations on non Aero goods according to Amanda. My A-1 made the decision for them... :?

markc

The lining wear is where my wallet (in the wallet pocket!) forces it to rub against my belt. The combination of wearing this jacket (almost exclusively) with a heavy(ish) wallet and a belt does for it.

It's back now and they've reinforced with a (beautifully matched) internal leather "waistband". I can't see how it will EVER wear through again (hurrah!).

I'll take pics this weekend.

Cheers,

Dr H

I am, but sadly with Tescos, Esso, British Gas and the man at the Inland Revenue... :roll:

m444uk

markc said:
..... so I sent it back for a reline - this time with cotton drill. This lasted about 18 months before wearing through and was sent back....

I was under the impression cotton drill was the hardest wearing lining ?

I used to have a late 1940's Police bike jacket which had a ton of wear and the original lining was fine.

Got any pics ?

markc

m444uk said:
markc said:
..... so I sent it back for a reline - this time with cotton drill. This lasted about 18 months before wearing through and was sent back....

I was under the impression cotton drill was the hardest wearing lining ?

I used to have a late 1940's Police bike jacket which had a ton of wear and the original lining was fine.

Got any pics ?

Sadly not of the cotton (or cotton plus corduroy) worn through but it was in exactly the same place as the Alpaca lining.

Cheers,

markc

A few pics of the returned jacket:

untitled.jpg

Nothing is getting through THAT reinforcement!

untitled-2.jpg

Aged to match the jacket leather.

untitled-3.jpg

untitled-4.jpg

Well loved (and worn)

untitled-6.jpg

The offending item!

Cheers,

markc

Hansson... http://www.hanssonshop.dk/index.php?language=en

Bought it to,replace a Longchamp (that was looking very tired).

Lovely brown leather, lots of ceit card slots, two note pockets and a zipped coin pocket as well as a display window for a credit card.

Cost me about £40 and is better than any I've seen (including my Longchamp) at 3-4 times the price.

Cheers,