• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Highwayman sizing??

delta102uk

Can anyone help me out .....thinking about purchasing an Aero Highwayman in a 44".....do these jackets run big or small?...I usually take a 44" in an A-2 ,G-1 etc. Any sizing advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
Sean K

Happy Hooligan

I don't know about current highwayman but about 10 years ago they ran roomy. If you wear a 44 A2 go with a 42 highwayman

jack aranda

I agree with Happy. I wear a size 44 GW A-2, fits perfectly. My Aero Highwayman is a size 42, fits perfectly. You're going to love the way a Highwayman feels when you put it on.

HueyPilot

I had just the opposite experience. My Highwayman was a close fit. I am a 42, and the jacket was a small 42 with no room for layering. The chest and shoulders are tight on me. Also the arms are a bit short. I ordered arms the same length as a 44 jacket, and for riding a motor, I really need another 1 1/2" to have them fit when I have my arms extended. The sleeves are so closely fitted that if I wear a regular sweater under the jacket, I am unable to hold a cell phone to my ear for more than about 30 seconds.

All of my other jackets are a 42, and I have plenty of room for layering in them. The other jackets have plenty of room in the shoulders, and the arms are long enough, as are the body lengths.

As a point of reference, I am thinking of getting another Highwayman. It will be a 45--46 with extra length in the arms and the body.

Vcruiser

HueyPilot said:
I had just the opposite experience. My Highwayman was a close fit. I am a 42, and the jacket was a small 42 with no room for layering. The chest and shoulders are tight on me. Also the arms are a bit short. I ordered arms the same length as a 44 jacket, and for riding a motor, I really need another 1 1/2" to have them fit when I have my arms extended. The sleeves are so closely fitted that if I wear a regular sweater under the jacket, I am unable to hold a cell phone to my ear for more than about 30 seconds.

All of my other jackets are a 42, and I have plenty of room for layering in them. The other jackets have plenty of room in the shoulders, and the arms are long enough, as are the body lengths.

As a point of reference, I am thinking of getting another Highwayman. It will be a 45--46 with extra length in the arms and the body.

HueyPilot...
I was going to say the same thing as you...but figured it might only make things more confusing.
I normally wear a 40 in most jackets..but sometimes can get by with a size 42. All my Aero HalfBelts and Highwayman are size 40s except one HalfBelt which is a 42. My size 40 Highwayman was kinda tight under the arms(across the back...but loosened up with wear. A can wear a shirt and T-shirt under it..but a sweater would make it tight. When custom ordering..I add an inch to the sleeve. I have a 34" shirtsleeve.
Otherwize...a wear my normal size(40) in an Aero HalfBelt or Highwayman....and a size 42 isn't overly large. I can't imagine going down a size in an Aero utility...but for me...they don't run big..in fact...just the opposite(trim).
I think the best bet is to send "exact' measurements to Aero...and let them recommend "size' according to how you want the jacket to fit.
Van

markc

I'd agree with Van, when I bought my Aero (not a highwayman btw) Will got his tape measure out and the resulting jacket fits like a glove.

If you're able to visit them up in Galashiels they are very helpful and accommodating. Will knows his stuff and will show you jackets and leather until you pass out from the smell!

He even hinted to me that, if you give them advance warning (and I would call to confirm as I know they are extremely busy at the moment), you can turn up first thing in the morning - get measured up - wander off around the borders for the day and then pick up your new jacket at close of business. Not on a Friday though - they only work Friday mornings.

Just wait a bit - I don't want you jumping the queue (waiting for a B6 at the moment - Will has assured me "soon"!!)

Cheers,

jack aranda

if you give them advance warning (and I would call to confirm as I know they are extremely busy at the moment), you can turn up first thing in the morning - get measured up - wander off around the borders for the day and then pick up your new jacket at close of business. Not on a Friday though - they only work Friday mornings.

Hi, Mark:
My wife and I were in Scotland in June, '07. She loves Melrose, the next town downstream from Galashiels. From Galashiels to Melrose is about a four-mile stroll along the river. Rain threatening the whole way, but, pleasant. We got to Aero mid-morning on a Friday, just as the rain began in earnest. Met Amanda and Will and I explained I was looking for a used Long Half Belt or Hercules. Will showed me everything they had on hand. Nada in my size. Gulp. Well, let's talk about building me a new one...as you say, Will soon had my head spinning with hides, linings, took my measurements, trimming a little off the shoulder to clean up the fit. We had a great time, like a couple of kids playing with a huge chest of toys. I asked for a map pocket; Will said I should have TWO inside pockets, one snap, one zip. I didn't want an alpaca lining. We went to the basement to a wall of rolls of fabric from which I chose my lining. (I get all trembly and adrenalin rushed remembering it now.)

Up to now, this is a trite travelogue, I agree. Now, is when it gets good: it's 10:30 Friday morning. I had assumed that my new Herc would be shipped to me back home in San Francisco, CA in a couple of months. But, Mark said I could come back for it on Monday! I gasped, oh, yes, big gasp, and told him we had to leave for Edinburgh early Sunday morning. Could I pay the artisans an extra 20 pounds to get it done by Saturday? No, he said, we're not open on Saturday, in fact, we close at 3PM this afternoon. By now, even Carla was pretty excited, looking at all the incredible leather jackets in the used section, talking to Amanda, smelling the leathers.

Pause. Then, Will told me to come back at 2PM; the jacket would be ready. No way. No way. No problem. So, we wandered up to the High Street and peered in every shop window in Galashiels, in a slow rain, and eventually settled in a cafe packed with locals having lunch and watched the world go by. I love Scotland.

2PM, we drifted back to Aero. I think my feet may have been touching the ground; not sure. The jacket was ready, and here it is:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com...2118/2973351900104585873S425x425Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com...7611/2031475680104585873S425x425Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

An Aero Hercules in four hours! I've waited longer for a cable TV tech to show up! So, yes, if you can make your way to Galashiels, you will not be disappointed. I agree, you should call ahead. Will and Amanda are simply the best.

Tommer45

Jack.. beauty of a jacket! Excellent story as well. Is that vintage cordovan horse? Jacket looks awesome..perfect fit.

And as Van suggested, when I ordered my Long Half Belt, I sent Mark Moye a bunch of measurements and let him recommend a size. I usually take a 46, but I wanted to be able to fit a heavy sweater underneath, so he recommended a 48. I won't have the jacket til March so I'll let you know how it fits.

Tommer

jack aranda

Hi, Toomer:
Yes, it is the vintage cordovan horse. Just a couple of months ago, it quit 'fighting' me; almost like a real horse--it has to be broken before you can get any real use out of it.

delta102uk

jack aranda said:
I agree with Happy. I wear a size 44 GW A-2, fits perfectly. My Aero Highwayman is a size 42, fits perfectly. You're going to love the way a Highwayman feels when you put it on.

Hi Jack, thanks for the info....Amanda got back to me today and also suggested I would probably need a sz 42" if I wore a 44" A-2.
Love the Aero Hercules!..looks great!...I live 90 miles south of Galashiels, about a 2 hour drive and although I've used there repair services and purchased a few of their jackets I've never got around to visiting the Aero factory....I'm off work for a few days this week so perhaps it time I paid them a visit!!..

Sean K