• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Flight Mfg Label A2

JOHNO

I picked this one up on ebay and it came in today, it has the "Aero Flight Mfg" label which I've learned were jackets made in India as entry level jackets in either goat or steer hides. It has a faint AAF stamping in the liner and a Talon marked zipper.

Here is the jacket, let me know what you think.

012-11.jpg

013-9.jpg

014-8.jpg

015-5.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JOHNO said:
... it has the "Aero Flight Mfg" label which I've learned were jackets made in India as entry level jackets in either goat or steer hides.

If memory serves, Aero Flight Mfg was an existing label that they last used for the Indian goatskin jackets, so if it pre-dates those, and/or is steerhide, it was made in Scotland.

I like it ... the seal brown/red knit combination always looks great.

Hamsterbear

the "Aero Flight Mfg" label

That was the "budget" line Aero sold, and they were made from horsehide and others.
The "Aero Indian Goat" was actually a goatskin jacket, made of a dark seal hide, with reddish orange knits.
I found the jacket the worst (POS) Aero ever made, and it was quickly dumped off on eBay.
The jacket in my avatar is an "Aero Flight" budget HH jacket, and it took forever to break in. I sold it later because it was too small, and the zipper broke.

JOHNO

Thanks for the info, you guys have filled in a lot of blanks.

The jacket was advertised as HH and in my e-mail correspondence with the seller he felt it was HH. Its good to know that its a definate possibility. The quality of the jacket is good, the only thing I've noticed is the lack of the angled re-inforcing stitching at the top corners of the pockets.

JOHNO

I'm getting old and my eyesight sucks anymore but I was looking at the jacket today and it does have the angled re-inforcing stitching on the pocket corners. I've been wearing this A2 today and I'm impressed, its comfortable.

001-71.jpg

asiamiles

JOHNO said:
I've been wearing this A2 today and I'm impressed, its comfortable.
Isn't that basically all that matters? That you're happy with it and you got it for a good price. Looks like steerhide to me.

JOHNO

Its a good A2, I'm just trying to learn something about the older Aero label. A lot of good info has come out about it.

Roughwear

This greenish hue to the lining is not the true colour of the lining. It appears a tan colour in other photos. The stitching through the label is where the blood chit has been stitched to the back of the jacket.

dmar836

Don't think it was him but I wrote one seller who mentioned a "motel buy" and they said they advertise a "hotel buy" at a particular hotel in the local paper of a town for several weeks. Then they rent a room for a day and sit as the local vets and families bring by their stuff to sell. I suppose this is where his name came from? They also said this was quite common and been going on for years. I'm sure they turn up some interesting stuff! I had always wondered where this guy came up with all these nice items.

Roughwear

He may well do as you say-quite enterprizing really! I can see that vets' families would be tempted, but does this mean they also sold him recent repro A2s, as he seems to have had many for sale? I know vets often bought repro A2s, but I wonder how many bought GWs?

Andrew

I've bought from him before and in that case I 'm pretty sure it undersold so he would have lost a bit. Wrt the driver quote I've always assumed that they do estate cleanouts so get the rights to dispose of the contents as a job lot- could well be wrong on that though. It also reminds me of those "American Pickers" dudes.

RCSignals

Andrew said:
I've bought from him before and in that case I 'm pretty sure it undersold so he would have lost a bit. Wrt the driver quote I've always assumed that they do estate cleanouts so get the rights to dispose of the contents as a job lot- could well be wrong on that though. It also reminds me of those "American Pickers" dudes.

That could be, as this is what it says in a current auction "purchased by one of my drivers on a local moving job. Jacket is as found and was purchased from an estate."

I bought something from him some time back, not a jacket, and all went well, he was a friendly fellow.
I've been watching and have even bid on quite a few of his jacket auctions and every one (of the ones I've bid in or watched) has had bids canceled and been ended early, to be re listed after a period later.