• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero AAF contract question

coolhandluke

I recently ran across an Aero A2 at an antique shop and am regretting not giving it a closer look. The shop owner mentioned in passing that he thought it was a post-war production jacket. The nomenclature tag was present, but I failed to take note of the contract number. From what I could tell, the jacket looked like it was a dark seal horsehide with pea green colored replacement knits that looked out of place as far as the color and weave were concerned. Based on its appearance, the jacket was definitely not produced recently. I plan to go back and give the jacket a second inspection. If it is an AAF contract jacket, it should have one of the following contract numbers correct? Am I missing any?

42-15142-P
42-18775-P
W535ac-16160
38-1711-P
40-3785-P

mulceber

There's also the Aero 3061 and the 21996. 21996, 15142-P and 18775-P are the most likely candidates, as those contracts were bigger and came in seal (along with russet). 16160 came in seal as well. Unless the jacket's a depot re-dye, it's probably one of those.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

There's also the Aero 3061 and the 21996. 21996, 15142-P and 18775-P are the most likely candidates, as those contracts were bigger and came in seal (along with russet). 16160 did as well. Unless the jacket's a depot re-dye, it's probably one of those.

Thank you very much for the information! Do you happen to have any clue as to the going rate of an AAF contract Aero in fair condition with replacement knits? I may consider purchasing it and having the knits replaced with something more correct looking.

mulceber

Really tough to say. If it's in good condition, still basically has its liner and the label is there, and it's just the knits that are weird, the starting price would be upwards of a grand, I should think. Also really depends on the contract. If it's a rarer one, that might add a hundred or two to the price.

coolhandluke

Really tough to say. If it's in good condition, still basically has its liner and the label is there, and it's just the knits that are weird, the starting price would be upwards of a grand, I should think. Also really depends on the contract. If it's a rarer one, that might add a hundred or two to the price.

Thanks Jan. I sincerely appreciate the help more than you know. I hope to go back to the shop either this afternoon or tomorrow. If it is truly an original jacket, I'll grab it regardless of fit as it is priced significantly less than that price range. I'll post an update as soon as I've given it a second look.

coolhandluke

not. what you most likely saw [pea green liner] was a mid-late 40s, into the early 50s aero" civy" jacket. aero produced them commercially, and were not mil issue.

That very well may be the case. I just gave it a passing glance due to the appearance of the knits. The nomenclature tag appeared to be patterned after a military contract tag, but again...I did not give it much more than a glance. I was too busy looking over a fairly nice G1 that was sadly much too large for me (size 46).

Edit: I stopped back by the shop a moment ago. Unfortunately, the Aero jacket was no longer there.

Last edited: