• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Admiral A1 jacket - recent purchase ( September 2015)

Persimmon

I thought I would do a quick posting mini review of a new jacket I recently purchased.

I have taken a few pictures today of the jacket on the ground both indoors and outdoors but need to get one of my grown up kids to come by at some point and take some photo's of it being worn.

At the moment let me just say its the best fitting A1/A2 jacket I have owned.

Seeing the latest offerings from Headwind I snapped up one of their A1 "style" jackets.

When I say style I decided not to go for the traditional A1 - ( I have done that with the A1 from Eastman ) but tweak it by adding the collar from their other offering - the USN 37J1 to give it what I would term an Admiral A1.

It arrived earlish in September so it has only had a month's wear in it so far and thats meant a little bit of sun and rain on it.

Its still early days so it will be interesting to see what happens to the Capeskin re wear but I have to say so far so good and I am pleased with the jacket.

The quality of the leather and the cuffs and buttons are strong.
I was slightly disappointed with the sewing on of the buttons ( not put on tight enough ) and have spoken to Jay about it.
Its a teething error no doubt and I am assured that in future the buttons on future jackets will be secured stronger.
Overall a minor issue.

As a comparision to the Eastman A1, I struggle to find any difference ( other than the price !!!!) and I am impressed with the Eastman offering.

The knits - collar and cuffs and the lining are as good an offering as the Eastman A1 and I think both are great jackets.

So if you are looking for a A1 and want to save a good chunk of money I would recommend the Headwind offering.

They also offer a custom service ( both in sizes and especially in my case the collar option ) which Eastman do not offer, so again a big plus.

I know I probably should have taken a photo or two when it came out of the box ( well secured and delivered - Custom friendly too !!) but I didn't but hey look at their website for a accurate brand new fresh out of the box look.

N.B.The outside shots were in fairly bright sunshine - but perhaps a more accurate colour representation.

Will get up some "wearing pictures" soon.

Roughwear

It looks really superb. The cape skin appears to be breaking in very nicely, especially the sleeves. Any chance of posting some wearing pictures?

Rutger

Great jacket, glad someone took the plunge. Great colour too!
The different collar matches perfectly with the jacket.
I find the arms on the Eastman jacket a bit too tight for comfort (dunno if anyone else has the same feeling), how are these?

Falcon_52

That looks really great, Alan. I have one of Jay's (Headwind) 37J1 jackets and I like the collar quite a bit. I never have to fiddle with it, it just lays gently on my neck.

These jackets are a good value in my opinion.

Noel

Persimmon

Rutger said:
Great jacket, glad someone took the plunge. Great colour too!
The different collar matches perfectly with the jacket.
I find the arms on the Eastman jacket a bit too tight for comfort (dunno if anyone else has the same feeling), how are these?

I feel the sleeves are a touch looser ( wider width ) than the Eastman but there is not much in it
I think the comfort levels for you would be better.
Mind you if you have Popeye arms !!!

Persimmon

John Lever said:
Is the jacket a copy of an original or of an Eastman ? apart from the collar they look identical.

John
Their website states it is a copy of a Gordon & Ferguson repro
Does that mean an exact stitch copy or an interpretation of it

Hopefully Jay can confirm for you.
Either way I am pleased.

Noel
I agree with you re the collar. Such a pleasing collar to wear

Skyhawk

Thanks to you all for the comments on the custom A-1. Alan, it's breaking in really nice! Love to see that.

The jackets have a slim military fit. The sleeves can be custom made to be wider if you want as well, but that should not be necessary for most.

The design of this jacket was based upon detailed photos of an original G&F A-1 jacket, drawing number AN-6501. While the originals are very rare, there are many photos available of this particular contract including close-ups of the details. It is not a reproduction of the Eastman G&F reproduction.

I believe I got the construction and the details correct, and the color is a close match to the protected area seen in the photos of the original. The sizing is a little bigger no doubt than the originals, but still on the slim side. They should run just a tad bigger than an average WWII A-2 of the same size.