• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? about paint on fabric

VanHook

Hello Everyone, I have a repro. M-1941 feild jacket that I would like to do some stenciling on and possibly some other artwork. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as far as the right type of paint to use on fabric. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Chad

a2jacketpatches

The historically accurate type of paint would be oil colors, they have been around for centuries and in the same basic formula and additives.

There are several modern acrylic fabric paints available but they will fade out with washing unless a heat press is used to force the moisture out of the paint and bind the paint molecules together. 300 degrees for 3 minutes will usually do the job and actual pressure is needed, an iron will not work. Otherwise, the paint will breake apart and fade out. This can actually be a desired result and work to your benefit as original examples are usually faded.

ButteMT61

Hey Chad - in the same boat. Looking at stenciling my Pike Bros N-1 jacket. Dr H was kind enough to send me a sample to test on. I'm still not sure about what method I will use.
Oil paint?
Acrylic paint?
Iron-on stencil?

I'll try some things and report back once I get the fabric to test on.

Scott

VanHook

Scott, I was thinking of trying acrylics also. I look forward to hearing about your results and I will let you know my results also!
Thanks.
Chad

ButteMT61

Please post back if you do. I've sent this to my wife - she has tons of experience with this sort of thing. She's the one that will do it for me, but I'm still skittish as the jacket is over $500 and I can't trash it!
:eek:

a2jacketpatches

VanHook said:
Been doing some research today I think I am going to give this stuff a try. http://www.liquitex.com/techniques/fabricpainting/ I will go pick some up this weekend and see how it goes. Anyone have any experience with it?

Back in the 80's Before my patch business, I was painting t-shirts, denim jackets, leather jackets, you name it. Liquitex is a high quality acrylic and a good choice for your project. Be sure to work the paint into the fabric a bit while applying. The fabric medium they mention will thin the colors a bit and allow it to soak in better but will also make them more transparent. Regardless of them claiming there's no need to heat set, there is. This paint will remove in the washing machine, but again, it's almost a good thing if you're looking for a faded realistic look.