• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 vs G-1 - Whats the more comfortable/practical jacket?

B-Man2

G-1 is the more comfortable jacket ....BUT...
A2 is the cooler looking jacket of the two. :)

(Disclaimer : The opinions expressed here are solely those of the writer and are in no way indicative of the expressed thoughts or views of the VLJ staff or administration or their executive board )

.......... Ahhh ... just foolin with ya !
But I do think the A2 looks cooler and actually the better half thinks it looks sexyo_O;)

Enigma1938

Started a relatively similar thread a few months ago and came to the conclusion that besides all the glory and myth of the A2 the G1 is the better jacket when it comes to PRACTICALITY like questioned in the thread title.

Flightengineer

It is often said that the A-2 looks cool but not as comfortable as the G-1.
I do not mean Burt personally, this is generally a common opinion.
BUT now I think this is more often said by people who have not found their correct size or suitable contract.
As Stu said above - if everything is correct then both jackets are equally comfortable.

FreddyF9

It is often said that the A-2 looks cool but not as comfortable as the G-1.
I do not mean Burt personally, this is generally a common opinion.
BUT now I think this is more often said by people who have not found their correct size or suitable contract.
As Stu said above - if everything is correct then both jackets are equally comfortable.

I totally agree. I’ve seen some guys looking a bit “weird” in their fine A-2s, it happens because the jacket’s characteristics doesn’t fit your body’s. For example: if you have large shoulders you should avoid a contract with narrow shoulders, like the Dubow 27798. Because, if you want it to fit you correctly around the shoulders, you’ll need to size up and the waist area will fit much looser; making you look a bit “pear shaped”.
My personal advice is to always ask the waist and hem measurements of they aren’t specified in the size chart, shoulders and chest measurements aren’t enough to have a good fitting jacket. Of course if your jacket is made to fit, like most of Fivestar’s do, there aren’t “weird” fit problems anymore.

FreddyF9

Aside from the collar are they similar in terms of warmth or lack of?

Well, in the end they are both leather jackets, so don’t expect them to be very warm. If you want to be warm in your nice A-2 or G-1 during cold days, it’s better if you layer up a bit (like a woolen jumper) under your jacket.

London Cabbie

If you want practicality & versatility the Barbour & pocketable gilet is the ultimate.
F74E0C4D-86D9-4A74-8D98-C9406CD2F413.jpeg

mulceber

I also agree with Stu that it’s all about getting the right fit, but I’d actually say the A-2 has a couple features that make it more comfortable than the G-1, as far as I’m concerned:
  • The simple cotton lining is more breathable, IMO, and all around feels nicer to me.
  • The blouson design of the A-2 makes the jacket more comfortable in the waist when I’m sitting down.
  • The mouton collar of the G-1 is great at any temperature below 50 F / 10 C, but above that, it can get pretty warm, and I find myself worrying about the effects of sweat getting in mouton.
  • Button pockets are a royal pain and make that part of the jacket less functional (admittedly, that has little to do with comfort).

Bremspropeller

The A-2 is for wearing a tie, the G-1 is for when you've lost that Loving Feeling.

Now, seriously:
The G-1 is a little more practical and more wearable by design. It has an additional internal pocket, but the snaps on the A-2 are a better way of closing the outer pockets vs the buttons on the G-1.
Just get an A-2 with internal pockets (either slits or the more historical canvas pockets that ELC offer with their 352nd FG version) and you'll also have a very practical jacket - at the minor expense of losing a tad of historical accuracy.
I can live with the latter.

I have several A-2s and G-1s/ M422s. They both have their own look and coolness factor.
Goat vs Horse isn't that much a factor as several makers do offer some A-2s in goat also. That's unless you positively want/ need to go ELC.