• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 needing an inside pocket...

Toddo

I have a Sporty's Pilot Shop horsehide A2. I'd really like an inside breast pocket installed, since my smartphone doesn't fit in the front pockets.

Can someone recommend where to possibly have this done?

Thanks!

unclegrumpy

And from an extremely highly rated seller....so high in fact, that he could easily drift 600 miles into California :cool:

a2jacketpatches

Originals weren't made of silk, they were of rayon, not much of a difference when considering for an inside pocket anyway as both are a poor choice. Very weak materials unless you back them with something.

And yes, the obvious choice is a local tailor

a2jacketpatches

unclegrumpy said:
And from an extremely highly rated seller....so high in fact, that he could easily drift 600 miles into California :cool:

Got one foot out the door UG, already packing for July 31st, Flying jbmilart (Jim) out here to help out. You in that area?

Smithy

a2jacketpatches said:
Originals weren't made of silk, they were of rayon, not much of a difference when considering for an inside pocket anyway as both are a poor choice. Very weak materials unless you back them with something.

Some Korean War blood chits were made from very heavy cotton, almost canvas like (I have one) so this could be a go for the OP and they do pop up fairly often. And there were a LOT of WWII era A-2s worn during the Korean conflict.

Adds some nice Jabby Jabara chic to an A-2 ;)

a2jacketpatches

Smithy said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Some Korean War blood chits were made from very heavy cotton, almost canvas like (I have one) so this could be a go for the OP and they do pop up fairly often. And there were a LOT of WWII era A-2s worn during the Korean conflict.

Adds some nice Jabby Jabara chic to an A-2 ;)

There ya go, I don't make KW's but whatever floats his boat. Initially, he mentioned nothing of a Blood Chit pocket, but I make one just for that purpose and have been doing them for a while so I made the suggestion. So just for CH*TS & GIGGLES ;) , I Chit you not :D I could also make him a plain custom pocket out of leather, canvas, linen, or whatever. Could even be pre-punched with sewing holes for self installation using the loop stitch. I've got GOODWEAR Horsehide, Goatskin, Russet or Seal Brown, in the size of your choice. Hmmmmmnnnnn the wheels are turning now. Give me the day and I'll have an example here.

a2jacketpatches

OK, done in an hour. Thanks for the inspiration fellas. I'm calling this my "Rigger made Pocket" for self installation on the interior of the A2 Flight Jacket. One in Russet Goatskin, and one inspired by my good mate Couchy. You can order in a custom size and material providing I have it in stock.Standard size is as seen with the camouflage example. If ordering for a cell phone in particular, add one inch to the sides and a half inch short vertically for the perfect custom fit and an easy grab :D

Toddo

Thanks a2jacketpatches, Those are an excellent option. I really like the prepunched leather. Shall i just PM you?

a2jacketpatches

Sold! First "Rigger Made Pocket" Thanks Toddo. I'll be making this a regular item in my store soon. In the mean time feel free to contact me if you want one. At some point in the near future I intend to buy a special purpose sewing machine with an arm that reaches up into shoulder, under linings, etc. so I'll be able to apply anything I make or that needs stitching to your jacket.