• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A1 recommendation ?

omarco

in my quest for a new spring/summer jacket I'm thinking an A1 could be a good option. I wondered what recommendations VLJ'ers might suggest. I do have a few caveats, I don't want to wait for months and months to get my hands on one and I don't want to pay Real McCoy prices. I don't mind about 100% historical accuracy for this one.

Any good suggestions?

Cheers.

stevetfire

I'd also go with Ian's comment (DrH) , although A1's of any repro maker on the used market seem a rare bird these days, I have an ELC A1 that I bought from Ian a couple of years ago and I've worn and worn and is almost certainly one of my favourite jackets , I should post some pics to show its well worn patina

Silver Surfer

if you are a size 40, you may want to consider my elc a-1. i purchased it this past winter, and when i did, i asked gary to select the lightest colored cape he had on hand. only worn indoors, not even elbow creases. $750 +$16 shipping in the us. por, or go to the fb site a-2 appreciation for pix and description.

omarco

I don't know if I'm missing something but I can't find the A1 on the ELC site... I know it used to be there, I've looked at it before..

johnwayne

For my two pennyworth I suggest you try Norshor leather ( formerly Superior Flight Apperal).
Mark who turns up here from time to time is based in Minnesota and does a nice A1 at I believe a reasonable price but no idea his current production times - search both but I can recommend his work as I have an A1 of his and love it.
Cheers
Wayne

omarco

Silver Surfer said:
if you are a size 40, you may want to consider mine. i purchased it this past winter, and when i did, i asked gary to select the lightest colored cape he had on hand. only worn indoors, not even elbow creases. $750 +$16 shipping in the us. por, or go to the fb site a-2 appreciation for pix and description.

Thanks SS but I think I'd be a 42.. 6'1" with a 40" chest..

Dr H

johnwayne said:
For my two pennyworth I suggest you try Norshor leather ( formerly Superior Flight Apperal).
Mark who turns up here from time to time is based in Minnesota and does a nice A1 at I believe a reasonable price but no idea his current production times - search both but I can recommend his work as I have an A1 of his and love it.
Cheers
Wayne

Does Mark still offer the A-1, Wayne?
When I last spoke with him I thought that he's dropped it from the lineup?

Skyhawk

I am going to be making an A-1 soon, actually just finishing up the label design. It will be in russet sheep skin, very close to the weight and softness of capeskin. The color appears to be a near dead ringer to that (under the pocket flap) Eastman original's photos. The price will be in the $500 range, shipped and tailored if desired. Turnaround time should be around 10 days. You can PM me for more info if you like.

chamboid

They Kelso Capeskin is superb, a really beautiful leather, so soft to the touch with a lot of character. That would be my first choice. Otherwise I have a lively one made by Norshor in horse hide which is a great lighter weight jacket to wear. Both of course completely customisable.

omarco

Thanks for the input everyone, top of the list at the moment is Norshor and Kelso. I'm thinking of a civi A1 really over a repro, Norshor has those really nice olive knits but I'm a little worried that both will have wait times beyond what I'm prepared to put up with :)

Skyhawk, thanks for the headsup' I'll keep an eye on the project for sure.

grommet

Mark Fisher (Norshor) made a nice A-1 for me. He was very obliging and worked with me to get the right fit, leather and look (I had the pockets placed higher, like the naval aviation type). I think he is reasonably priced, at least he was when I bought it a couple of years ago and the wait time wasn't bad.

On the other hand, I purchased a Aeronaut from Bill Kelso which never fit properly even though I have a pretty standard build. I contacted them immediately and was told that if I just kept wearing it it would probably mold to my body. Needless to say, that was not good advice and, when I complained later, they said there was nothing they could do since it was more than 30 days and because there were some customized features.