• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tale of Two A1's in the snow.

Persimmon

Now its a lovely blue sky day and the snow is still on the ground.
So what does a man do but get out his A1 to give it some extreme conditioning.
Sun and Snow !!

Ok, I am not that crazy but it did give me the opportunity to take a few pictures of my A1 and a very similar looking cardigan for comparision.

Now even I can't wear the A1 all the time (in the house !).
The ELC A1 certainly feels like a waistcoat when its on.
The cape being so light and soft.

However comments from family members do occur !! so the next best thing is when a little additional warmth is needed is to wear my cardigan that looks a bit like a A1 and it has buttons as all real flight jackets should have.

(Help me here Ian, Flak decending no doubt)

Similar in appearance from the front and the back although no press down studs.

car003.jpg

car005.jpg

car010.jpg

car012.jpg

car002.jpg

car008.jpg

Dr H

I like the cardy Alan (where did that one come from?) and my A-1 is getting plenty of extreme conditioning at the moment as well with plenty of snow.

My current ELC A-1 (from CBI) is mid chocolate coloured with a slightly darker lining (don't know whether these detailed have changed during the production time?), but the shell is becoming paler and increasingly scuffed, dulled and grained with wear - properly 'timeworn' - and I hope that it'll become more russet like your jacket in time.

I keep meaning to give the jacket a rub down with an organic solvent to lighten it little by taking out the dye and reducing the gloss (perhaps next week when I get to the lab). This worked well on a previous A-1 that had been over treated with Pecards. As a result the jacket was finely (unnecessarily) sealed against the wet weather of the Netherlands, but had darkened as a result and felt almost squeaky to the touch. Hexane and petroleum ether took off the excess conditioner and returned the colour/drape.

I like the house too - mid/late 20s, arts and crafts derived with roughcast walls (has the feel of an early Bailey Scott on the Isle of Man with that colour scheme).

Persimmon

Dr H said:
I like the cardy Alan (where did that one come from?) and my A-1 is getting plenty of extreme conditioning at the moment as well with plenty of snow.

My current ELC A-1 (from CBI) is mid chocolate coloured with a slightly darker lining (don't know whether these detailed have changed during the production time?), but the shell is becoming paler and increasingly scuffed, dulled and grained with wear - properly 'timeworn' - and I hope that it'll become more russet like your jacket in time.

I keep meaning to give the jacket a rub down with an organic solvent to lighten it little by taking out the dye and reducing the gloss (perhaps next week when I get to the lab). This worked well on a previous A-1 that had been over treated with Pecards. As a result the jacket was finely (unnecessarily) sealed against the wet weather of the Netherlands, but had darkened as a result and felt almost squeaky to the touch. Hexane and petroleum ether took off the excess conditioner and returned the colour/drape.

I like the house too - mid/late 20s, arts and crafts derived with roughcast walls (has the feel of an early Bailey Scott on the Isle of Man with that colour scheme).

1924 and you are on the right track re Baillie Scott.

As for the cardigan.
All of places Gap !

I look forward to seeing the results of your A1 after the treatment

Dr H

I'll post the images of the A-1, once I've given it a proper rub down (and I'll nip into Guildford to see whether Gap still keep that one).

Do you have a spare million? Sadly, I don't - or else I'd be on this Baillie Scott faster than the speed of light...

http://www.findaproperty.com/for-sale/property-8511055

Better yet - one that I aspire to own. A Voysey house in Tooting (I visited here several years ago) - now up for £5M of your Earth pounds...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... la%3CSW%3E

johnwayne

Wonder what the neighbours thought seeing those laying out in the garden!!!!

cheers
Wayne
PS as I think Ive mentioned before, that is a particulalry nice A1 you have there.