• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A tale of 2 Dubows...GW and BK

ausreenactor

chancerider said:
Not piling on, but taking the whole "Authenticity" component out of the decision and just looking at it as a jacket...the GW is far superior. Pocket spacing, sleeves, and fit thru the body on the BK just look.....off.

Buy my GW Perry so I can buy another BK!!!

bretron

So Jeff this is thee long awaited replacement to your ill fitted M422, and the damn thing is ill fitted?? Yikes!!

Maybe you had an idea that was going to happen, which would explain the GW? :lol:

Do you happen to know if either were modified off the stock pattern? Perhaps, john knowing your size so well was able to make the jacket fit that much better (eg took the smaller size down and added slight length to the sleeves)? Then again, regardless, you'd think BK would really try and nail the fit on this one, given it's overly anticipated debut....

Skip

Jeff M said:
Skip said:
Have to agree, the GW is a looker. Great comparison, both in fit leather and knits. What about the linings?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
In the meantime....here is a link to the close up pictures that John sent me when he finished my jacket;

Looking on the phone you could see the difference, looking on the big screen, Wow, that GW is certainly something especially in close up. Don't know what BK did with your measurements Jeff, but that BK doesn't look right. BK hides are thick, but my Werber sleeves don 't look like that. Even for A$300 more the GW wins hands down, no contest.

ausreenactor

Jeff M said:
Both jackets were "custom made", same measurements.

What are the measurements on the actual jackets as a comparison? The sleeves are obviously not the same.

The BK looks at least one size, if not two sizes too big? Bizarre?

unclegrumpy

I agree with the comments and assessments voiced thus far.

However, I think that what has been left out, is a comparison of what these jackets would look like after a year or so of equal wear. Out of the box, the GW is clearly miles ahead, and having experience with them, I know they only get better.

The BK looks big, boxy, and stiff, but sometimes jackets change a lot when they soften up and break in....and sometimes they don't. To me, that is the big unknown here. With some honest wear, the Bk has a chance to significantly close the gap, but if it does not, it will look worse in the next comparison.

Anyway, I think Couchy is right, it is worth giving the BK a chance.....but my hunch is, for most people, the BK would still likely end up being a stepping stone to something else.

Jeff M

bretron said:
So Jeff this is thee long awaited replacement to your ill fitted M422, and the damn thing is ill fitted?? Yikes!!

Maybe you had an idea that was going to happen, which would explain the GW? :lol:

This is the M422 replacement.

a2jacketpatches

Gotta say that even though the difference is clear, both look pretty darn sharp on you. You like both? Love one, like the other? Love one, hate one? Everyone else can split hairs all day long but what's the owner thinking?

Jeff M

a2jacketpatches said:
Gotta say that even though the difference is clear, both look pretty darn sharp on you. You like both? Love one, like the other? Love one, hate one? Everyone else can split hairs all day long but what's the owner thinking?

Love the GW.
Can see potential for the BK when the sleeves are shortened.

unclegrumpy

Jeff M said:
Can see potential for the BK when the sleeves are shortened.
I actually think the BK might improve a lot if you got it nice and wet and wore it dry....not a HWT, just a good wetting and a slow all day wearing to dry it out.

Vcruiser

I can imagine what a let down it was to pull that BK Dubow out of the box and try it on after such a misfitting first purchase was returned years ago. Especially after further discouragement when that new exchange order was passed over as they run out of your specified hide to fill newer orders. No wonder you waited until now to present this review. I don't know if it was an attempt to not put Platon on the spot..or avoid more lame excuses..or both. Either way..I think you most likely played it right. After awhile it can certainly seem like not worth anymore hassle.
Van

zhz44

I am sure you can contact BK and ask them to change the jacket.

It is clear the sleeves are longer and wider. Not sure about the rest, could you share the measurements of two jackets?

Jeff M

zhz44 said:
I am sure you can contact BK and ask them to change the jacket.

The BK jacket was the end result of my returning a prior BK jacket whose fit I was not happy with. I'll keep this one and likely either shorten the sleeves or see if one of my sons would like it.

The measurements of the jackets are;

GW; Sleeves- 25 1/2". Back length- 25". Shoulder width-19". Chest pit/pit-23 1/2". Back pit/pit-23 3/4".
BK; Sleeves- 25 1/2". Back length- 25". Shoulder width-20". Chest pit/pit-24 3/4". Back pit/pit-24 7/8".

The torso looks to be what is adding the extra arm length on the BK sleeves. The sleeve width would seem to be inherent in the BK design.

zhz44

Seems like the BK is one size larger than GW, no wonder the fitting...
I really wish Platon or Andy is here, so we can have a lot fun/pain...

bseal

What follows is perhaps nothing more than artful sophistry...

Since Skip and a few other members have shown BK's that do fit properly, either BK rushed Jeff's two year wait listed A-2 (oxymoron), or were training a new employee, or just didn't give a darn because Mr. M had removed his less than stellar review of their first model M422a.

Jeff M

bseal said:
What follows is perhaps nothing more than artful sophistry...

Since Skip and a few other members have shown BK's that do fit properly, either BK rushed Jeff's two year wait listed A-2 (oxymoron), or were training a new employee, or just didn't give a darn because Mr. M had removed his less than stellar review of their first model M422a.

Hey Steve.
This is the BK I showed you a few months ago.

Marv

I have one of the first BK G&F M422a's and whilst the fit is pretty good, the sleeves have the same problem that there is no taper towards the cuff end leaving a square boxy shape which obviously points to a design/pattern issue on their jackets.

The goatskin used hasn't really broken in at all even after the initial approx. 6-8 months of heavy wear plus HWT misting sessions made no real difference to the leather either, however the workmanship on the build of the jacket is excellent and cannot fault it.

Unfortunately having an ELC G1 and a mint original LW Foster G1, the BK M422a sadly resides in the wardrobe not really seeing the light of day much anymore.

Steve H

My GW Dubow 27798 is the same colour combo as that- but in horse- looks great and to me no contest- the Kelso is what it is too though...

Jeff M

Steve H said:
My GW Dubow 27798 is the same colour combo as that- but in horse- looks great and to me no contest- the Kelso is what it is too though...

FWIW....
Ordered approx. 18 months ago, my GW cost me the same as what BK is selling a new A2 with "VH" leather today.
If only I could do as well with the stock market. :lol: