• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Little Worrying - Aero's 'NOS' Zips

269sqnhudson

Aero's NOS Talon Zips

Anyone know if these are bonafide? There's a used seal goat A2 for sale on their website and they say it has an NOS WWII Talon but in the pic it's a repro.

Any ideas?
T

A

Anonymous

Re: Aero's NOS Talon Zips

Yeah, it's a NOS repro.
just kidding...

269sqnhudson

I was recently looking at getting an Aero (Scottish type). I haven't had one for many years and do like their hides.
However, I emailed them with a concern about the NOS WWII Talon zip option. On their used jackets section they show a Goatskin A2 with what they describe as an NOS Talon zip......only it's not, it's a repro. I received a reply from Amanda saying it is an NOS zip.

We all know this isn't the case I think. Anyone know them enough to let them know? It's £50 for a duff upgrade

5734d49454db1526_s1762-zipper-800.jpg

269sqnhudson

I replied with this email. hope it sorts it out

'Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your reply. I know you have a number of regular customers who are serious collectors like myself. I really think you shoulld run it by them as they will tell you it's the same reproduction used by Eastman, Buzz Rickson etc. The originals have a different slide shape. It's subtle but easy to spot.

Here is a pic of an original, note the shape of the top edge of the slider body, it doesn't drop off at the sides like the repros. This is really a very well known way to differentiate.

I hope this helps in the end, I'm not being critical but just pointing out a problem.

Tom'

269sqnhudson

Amanda emailed to say she and Will are gooing to contact the supplier who sells them to Aero as NOS WWII and let them know what I said.

I really think if any of you guys can chip in then do, clearly Aero are being fibbed to by their supplier.

Tom

HHjackets

does that means they can't tell the difference then?
they have jackets with ww2 zippers on them, and they can't tell the difference between the zipper on those and the repros?
why does a company with so many years experience of handling, collecting, buying, selling ww2 jackets etc need to ask others whether it's a ww2 zipper or not?

269sqnhudson

HHjackets said:
does that means they can't tell the difference then?
they have jackets with ww2 zippers on them, and they can't tell the difference between the zipper on those and the repros?
why does a company with so many years experience of handling, collecting, buying, selling ww2 jackets etc need to ask others whether it's a ww2 zipper or not?

Well it looks like it. I don't think Aero are deliberately misleading people.
I told them I could send a near endless supply of photos of originals if their supplier disagrees. They have originals at the factory too I assume. They won't find one with a slider that shape that's for sure

T

Persimmon

T
Can you post a picture of an original and the repro side by side as per your email to Aero
For many newer, perhaps less experienced and knowledgable members, it would be a useful reference

269sqnhudson

Persimmon said:
T
Can you post a picture of an original and the repro side by side as per your email to Aero
For many newer, perhaps less experienced and knowledgable members, it would be a useful reference

Sure!
It's all in the top edge of the slider

Original
zipper_talon.jpg

Repro
5734d49454db1526_s1762-zipper-800.jpg

A

Anonymous

It's not only that.
The teeth of the original are sharp.
The repro's arent.

Roughwear

The shape of the Aero Talon slider is quite wrong-too curved at the top to be an original as the comparative pic shows. Eastman repro Talons have a similar profile. NOS Talons cost $60 from Vintage Productions in the USA. They sell their zips from MASH, but at more reasonable prices.

RCSignals

Thanks. so some of the reproductions do have the "art deco" style box.

I think I can also see a slight difference in the zipper teeth between the original and the repro.