• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A hero and his planes

YoungMedic

I ran across this on another forum I patrol and thought it would be great to share here as well.

zepher11;4970511 said:
Made it down to a 4th of July parade today. A bit warm, but overall very enjoyable. I had 93 year old Lt. Kelley with me. He insists on wearing his flight jacket even though it is close to 100 degrees. Here are a couple of photos.

Kelley_03.JPG

Kelley_01.JPG

Had to "Keep 'em Rolling" by giving the little Jeep a Jump from my Beep:

Kelley_02.JPG

Kelley likes to imitate Patton by standing along the parade route:

Kelley_04.JPG

On the way home from the parade Kelley and I stopped by and I met Bert Shope. Bert was in the 91st Bomb Group, 322nd Bomb Squadron...the same as Kelley. Bert is 93 years old and was a Radio Operator. Unlike Kelley, he completed his combat tour with 32 combat missions. He actually left the 91st on the same day Kelley's crew arrived as a replacement crew for Bert's crew. They live in the same small cow town...go figure.

I brought down my BC-348 radio receiver which would have been what was used in the bombers that Bert would have used. He enjoyed checking it out:

Kelley-Shope_02.JPG

Kelley-Shope_03.JPG

Bert had some photos of some of the planes he flew on at the 91st BG. I used my trusty phone camera and took photos of everything he had. Here is Bert ready to go in the early days of training:

Bert_Shope_Flight_Gear_01.JPG

Man-O-War II with Bert poking his head up:

Bert_Shope_Man-O-War_II_01.JPG

Sleepytime Gal. Bert is standing third from the left:

Bert_Shope_Sleepytime_Gal_02.JPG

Bert is kneeling all the way to the right. The plane's name is Fifinella. Most of these planes were shot down after Bert left the 91st:

Bert_Shope_Unknown_Plane_02.JPG

Wabash Cannonball...can't quite make out the rest. This is an early B-17F model. The ones with the twin 50 Cal chin turrets are the B-17G's. Devastating frontal attacks by the Germans necessitated the chin turret upgrade:

Bert_Shope_Wabash_Cannonball_01.JPG

Wee Willie. Bert is second from the left standing in the lower photo:

Bert_Shope_Wee_Willy_01.JPG

Bert_Shope_Wee_Willy_02.JPG

Sorry to be a bit long winded, but I can go through these types of photos for days. Especially, if I have met the individual in some of the photos. I thought maybe everyone would be interested in seeing them as well.

Happy 4th everyone!

Jason

Don't apologise, they're great photos and tell a wonderful story. 93 years old and still a sparkle in the eye!

Roughwear

Thanks for these wonderful pics and the write up. It is interesting to see that the vet has decorated a repro A2 to resemble the one he was issued with in the War.

YoungMedic

Just for clarification this was quoted from another member of a different forum, these are his pictures and words, I just wanted to share them here. I wish I could call them my own as it would be outstanding to have the company of those two

johnwayne

Brilliant and thanks for posting. I feel so humble when I read about these guys, basically ordinary people back then but special people now!
Cheers
Wayne