• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A happy tale.

Tim P

A couple of years ago I went full on "William Gibson" in line with a prevailing buzz craze and took a very nice rendering of an M41 jacket by Ralph Lauren, which had substituted a summery cotton lining and used dylon dye to make it black. Now it had been made with synthetic thread of some sort as the stitching did not take at all. Now whilst I often find contrasting stitching appealing, this did not work. I would on occasion still wear it but very rarely. I had given up on it.
Today I bought some dylon pre dye and ran it on a 95 degree wash hoping that with a greyish jacket jacket the stitch contrast would be more tolerable.
The process has taken all of the black dye and none of the original olive. It's drying on the line now. I am delighted. I am not averse to dyeing things and am now confident that this pre dye stuff can reverse the process. It's made for those who wish to dye a garment a lighter shade but clearly works for this too. It may help someone who's got a militaria item dyed for the fashion market.

Rutger

Ah yes Gibson, I think there's one of the flyer types on ebay right now, don't know which one, come to think of it it may be a black pre-Gibson one (BR anniversary edition?).

So it's a kind of primer you had to use as I understand it?

Pre- and post mission pics by any chance?