• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 original ?

Kermit3D

I am not an expert... and I don't know how original (or not) this A-2 is. the zipper seems suspicious...
Maybe someone might be interested.

Flightengineer

Zipper is modern cheap Talon repro.
It is strange that such broad shoulders with such a small pit-to-pit. There is no photo of the back and in general the photos were taken as if on purpose to hide the nuances. No photo of buttons for example.

Flightengineer

Could be... Looks like a Star Sportswear to me.

Star with shoulders 47 cm and chest 51 cm?

Quickly scanned several of their military jackets.
Many inaccuracies in the descriptions and a very high price for such a condition.
Some jackets that they claim are from the USSR (or from Bulgaria) are actually not the USSR, and the stencil inscriptions in Russian are just gibberish that makes no sense ha ha.

Last edited:

missonnier

Hello, it was one of mine ;)
authentic ww2 star sporrswear, size 38.
BUT, partially in bad shape on the left shoulder as i totally fuck up to put correctly the US army star, as I replaced by a ww2 5th AF. The hide on this shoulder is quiet burn, not a good deal !

Flightengineer

Hello, it was one of mine ;)
authentic ww2 star sporrswear, size 38.
BUT, partially in bad shape on the left shoulder as i totally fuck up to put correctly the US army star, as I replaced by a ww2 5th AF. The hide on this shoulder is quiet burn, not a good deal !

Incredible!
And size 38 Star had shoulders 47 cm wide? Or did shop measure it like that?

Smithy

I'm far from an A-2 expert so take this with a pinch of salt but aren't Stars famed for having quite dramatically wider shoulders/upper back pattern than other contracts?

Flightengineer

I'm far from an A-2 expert so take this with a pinch of salt but aren't Stars famed for having quite dramatically wider shoulders/upper back pattern than other contracts?

Tim no, the Star is considered one of the narrowest A2 contracts.
My ELC Star in size 40 has 43 cm (17") shoulders.
47 cm (18.5") would be for 46 size Star. Not for 38 size..If Eastman is right.

Brettafett

You know, just looking at a couple of WWII pics I have of guys wearing a Star, it 'appears' they they are roomy in the shoulders and not trim.
I wonder if its not ELC's particular jacket that they have copied...
Just adds to the 'variations among originals' debate...,

I was looking at the pic of their original RW1401, the pocket flaps (left & right) on this jacket are different. there appear to have based their 1401 repro on the left flap, which appears unlike any original RW1401 or RW pic Ive seen. Again, I have never seen an original RW1401 up close...

Smithy

You know, just looking at a couple of WWII pics I have of guys wearing a Star, it 'appears' they they are roomy in the shoulders and not trim.
I wonder if its not ELC's particular jacket that they have copied...

There's been discussion in the past here and over at the Salon du Chapeau that perhaps some of ELC's jackets weren't entirely based on the actual pattern of the respective original involved.

I can't remember if there was a definitive conclusion to this or whether this relates to old pattern ELCs but I suppose if they are making them with narrow shoulders and upper backs that might explain why they digress from the characteristics of the original pattern - if indeed all the originals were like that. JC is usually pretty spot on with his identifying particularities of contracts though.

Flightengineer

Brett, I think you're right. Deviations are possible within any contract, because there was a wartime. And the repro depends only on what kind of original gets into the hands of the reproducer for copying. It's like the location of the pockets on Dubow you talked about.

Flightengineer

There's been discussion in the past here and over at the Salon du Chapeau that perhaps some of ELC's jackets weren't entirely based on the actual pattern of the respective original involved.

I can't remember if there was a definitive conclusion to this or whether this relates to old pattern ELCs but I suppose if they are making them with narrow shoulders and upper backs that might explain why they digress from the characteristics of the original pattern - if indeed all the originals were like that. JC is usually pretty spot on with his identifying particularities of contracts though.

In fairness and curiosity, I read what John writes, but there is only about the "upper back" and not about the shoulders.
Could it be that he meant exactly the part of the back of the jacket and not the trim in the shoulders?

The Star pattern is somewhat trim arount the waist, but very comfortable, because they designed the upper back to be wider than other A-2s.

Also interesting, here is the Star that John made - size 42 and shoulder width 19.75 "

And here is the Star made by John in size 44 and shoulder width 19.5"

Size 42L and shoulder width 18 "

Probably everything is very ambiguous :)

Smithy

In fairness and curiosity, I read what John writes, but there is only about the "upper back" and not about the shoulders.

Hi Dmitry,

No John also talks about both the shoulders and the upper back area being roomy which implies that whilst narrow and trim in the body the upper area of this contract is roomier - John says that it's bigger than other A-2 contracts.

This would suggest to me that if ELC's pattern doesn't exhibit this then they've either based it on a trim original version of a Star (if such a thing exists), or their pattern is incorrect to the original Star contract and based on something else.

Flightengineer

Hi Dmitry,

No John also talks about both the shoulders and the upper back area being roomy which implies that whilst narrow and trim in the body the upper area of this contract is roomier - John says that it's bigger than other A-2 contracts.

This would suggest to me that if ELC's pattern doesn't exhibit this then they've either based it on a trim original version of a Star (if such a thing exists), or their pattern is incorrect to the original Star contract and based on something else.

Yes Tim, only Gary probably knows this, but he is unlikely to tell us :)

Brettafett

I really think this all goes down to maker interpretation, based on what they have in their collections or have inspected.
Possibly also grading sizes...

Gary certainly has at least one Star, I think its a 42 based on his book.
John must certainly have owned or handled them. Both of these gents must have inspected multiple examples.

ELC have certainly tweaked their patterns over the years, and I would take measurements off John's jackets with a pinch of salt (unless stated by him that a jacket in question is an exact clone),
John is/was very amenable to tweaking his jackets for customers.
I am sure he has made many jackets that are exact to originals, but there are also many that have been 'customised'... You'll find jackets of the same make and size measuring up differently.

This jacket reminds me of one that someone found in a thrift shop... Is this the same jacket?